OpenSolaris-Derived OmniOS CE Updated With A Ton Of Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
    Illumos is a very powerful and capable OS. It can do things Linux can only dream about in the virtualization space. Sun was way ahead of their time when it comes to containers. All it needs is some market traction and acceptance..

(No, it does not need games Linux ppl.. )
    Keep dreaming. Linux eats this shit for breakfast. Sun smashed to death by Linux in cloud environment is testament to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Keep dreaming. Linux eats this shit for breakfast. Sun smashed to death by Linux in cloud environment is testament to this.
      Come out from the echo chamber grasshopper. It's ok, we'll get you some chicken nuggets buddy. Everything will be fine. You don't need to put docker on kvm.

Crossbow:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solari...source_control

Zones:

Sun had that 10 years ago.. when Linux had... hmm... well actually Linux hasn't really hit the same mark today come to think of it.. They might get there.. maybe another 10 years? You do know the most popular thing is never the best, A mini van might be the most popular car but it's far from the most advanced.
      Last edited by k1e0x; 04 November 2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Sun had that 10 years ago.. when Linux had... hmm... well actually Linux hasn't really hit the same mark today come to think of it.. They might get there.. maybe another 10 years? You do know the most popular thing is never the best, A mini van might be the most popular car but it's far from the most advanced.
        Ten years ago Linux wiped out Solaris from cloud and ended Sun's dreams about virtualization. One hundred years won't be enough for Solaris to catch up. Let's see:

KSM, CPU hotplug, PCIhotplug, nested guests etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          KSM, CPU hotplug, PCIhotplug, nested guests etc.
          This is hardware level VM technology. This tells me.. you don't really know what a zone is do you. Lets go back in time some..

: flashback noise :

Sun made very very large computer systems. The E10k System or "StarFire" was one.

Old stuff.. but impressive for it's day. Moving along on our history lesson..

SunOS and later Solaris the OS that ran upon these needed technologies to divide up these monsters into application sized segments because most people, not being oil companies, couldn't use a machine of that size and Sun being primarily a hardware vendor wanted to sell a lot of them. The original way to do this was by combining system boards into a single computer image. Zones was developed as a next generation to make that dynamic so you'd have a single system image with the full power of the machine and you could dynamically spin up OS images as needed. They did it with OS level virtualization, with a Virtual Machine, that is hardware level virtualization. Containerization was thus invented (but nobody called it that). Full system images, with their own cpu ram disk etc that shared the running kernel but were still fully isolated.

OS level virtualization is far superior, because you don't have a second OS kernel, all of the resources of the zone can be dynamic. For example you don't need to give it a fixed amount of ram or storage.. but you can also impose limits if you want. (ZFS plays a part of this making the disk layer dynamic to the OS) The master can see and control all of process in all the guests. (all the files too)

You see.. Linux is still trying to solve that problem using hardware level virtualization. KVM.. You just listed their efforts to try to do some of that.. "KSM, CPU hotplug, PCIhotplug, nested guests etc" Those are solutions to the symptoms created by a bad solution to the original problem. A problem Sun already solved back in the late 90's and took it a step beyond by doing it as OS level virtualization and just for kicks they virtualized the entire network stack with crossbow so you can do raw sockets in the zone or have a virtual switch connecting them too. Meaning.. a lot of those technologies aren't even necessary.. nested guests? what is the point of that if you can punch out as many virtual OS's as you want "ie zones" without any resource requirements needed to sustain that zone? What is the point of KSM sharing memory pages, if all the memory is already shared by default? Changing the hardware? Well since you only have one OS all the 90's pcihot plug technology already works. And you can assign CPU's to the zone as needed, they are just process really. - Do you understand why Linux is behind here?

It's because OS level virtualization is hard.. where hardware level virtualization is easy (because Intel did all the hard work for you, lets be honest here). Linux just isn't up to the challenge for hard problems. There is no money in it for that when an inefecent bare bones solution (KVM) will work.

Omni OS has all this in it, both top tier OS level virtualization (it can even run Linux in a zone) and hardware level virtualization. Would you like to know more?
          Last edited by k1e0x; 05 November 2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Last console generation I bought a PS4 and a month later I gave it to my Dad for free. I hardly every played the damn thing and I kept buying PC games. I just hope I can talk him into going Xbox this generation so we can play more games together. PC and PS crossplay sucks and I'm not going to be giving him another free console this time around. As it is I depleted my new PC funds on a new bass and amp last night so I don't even have the money to buy me a console.
            Gaming and guitars - two expensive hobbies there. I stuck to computers, ignored the console, but still have my three guitars - one for heavy metal/rock, one for blues, and one for classical. Do not play them much anymore - an incident occurred a few years ago that made me loose most of the feeling in my left hand - which makes it difficult to play if you are right handed. And I could not master the Jimi Hendricks upside down playing.

GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

Gaming and guitars - two expensive hobbies there. I stuck to computers, ignored the console, but still have my three guitars - one for heavy metal/rock, one for blues, and one for classical. Do not play them much anymore - an incident occurred a few years ago that made me loose most of the feeling in my left hand - which makes it difficult to play if you are right handed. And I could not master the Jimi Hendricks upside down playing.
              The expense is pretty much why I quit console gaming. Felt like I'd acquire lots of hardware and games only to end up getting rid of them every 7-10 years as the hardware started going out, disks became too scratched, etc. On a PC all I need is a hard drive setup for long term storage and new hardware on an every-other console timeline. I'm planning on doing that this time next year or the year after...holding out for AM5 or whatever AMD calls their next socket.

That sucks. Due to all the labor-intensive work I've done I get nerve issues in my left hand and wrist and, when it flares up, it takes my entire arm down to 80% for the first half of the day on a good day, all the day on a bad one so I sort of know where you're coming from due to how difficult it becomes to tell how fine-tuned my movements are. Both numb and in pain at the same time when it's going on. Since I have a 14 year gap in playing I almost bought a left handed bass. My shipping just updated from "processing" to "arrives Oct. 5" so I'm freakin ecstatic.

Comment

Kinda same boat with you. Permanent nerve damage to C5,C6 nerve roots (cut through, surgically) and associated issues. Right wrist and fingers are functional - nerves associated with both are bit lower in the neck, excepting thumb which is near insensitive to touch. Shoulder and elbow are mostly fucked, gaming makes for good physiotherapy.

Comment

Originally posted by aht0 View Post
                  Kinda same boat with you. Permanent nerve damage to C5,C6 nerve roots (cut through, surgically) and associated issues. Right wrist and fingers are functional - nerves associated with both are bit lower in the neck, excepting thumb which is near insensitive to touch. Shoulder and elbow are mostly fucked, gaming makes for good physiotherapy.
                  Bone spur in the inside of the spinal column pushing against spinal cord at C5 - plus a couple of degenerative disks and a few issues behind the left shoulder blade. Nerve continuity in left arm are definitely not good. I have to make sure I check my left hand when I am doing things around sharp objects. I have cut it before and not known it until I see the blood. Yuck. It sucks. 85% surgery fixes, 15% wheelchair. I deal with the pain and the loss of feeling. Normally I would good with 85%, but not this one.
                  GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by set135

Solaris zones is pretty much the same tech as Linux Containers (LXC) (and probably FreeBSD Jails.) This has existed on Linux since 2009? The main value add is probably in the OS integration and tools for setting up and manipulating these containers. And yes, this is completely separate from KVM/XEN...
                    Correct. The difference is in the level of implementation. Chroot being the most basic, then various Linux containers (essentially only namespace and cgroups), then FreeBSD Jails where it is a mostly complete implementation but there are some edge cases (system v ipc isn't done), lastly is Zones that is a full implementation.

In what is quickly becoming the defining trend in Linux they only did the bare minimum (or half assed it) to get containers. The work isn't done and there are a lot of air gaps in Linux containers as opposed to Zones or even Jails.

They are all OS level virtualization but they have different goals:
                    chroot was created for development.
                    Jails were created to solve the UID 0 complaints in Unix and limit insecure software.
                    Docker was created for rapid software development with security as an after thought.
                    And Zones were created to finish the work Jails started, provide full secure OS level virtualization. (to sell big iron)
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 06 November 2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
                      Bone spur in the inside of the spinal column pushing against spinal cord at C5 - plus a couple of degenerative disks and a few issues behind the left shoulder blade. Nerve continuity in left arm are definitely not good. I have to make sure I check my left hand when I am doing things around sharp objects. I have cut it before and not known it until I see the blood. Yuck. It sucks. 85% surgery fixes, 15% wheelchair. I deal with the pain and the loss of feeling. Normally I would good with 85%, but not this one.
                      Go for surgery before it puts you into wheelchair. Seriously - something pushing against spinal cord is dangerous as fuck. Depending on the exact position you could lose leg function or even bowel functions (think: shitting and pissing into diaper)

It's not like you have much to lose, surgeons would maybe remove 1-2 vertebrae and put in an implant. For example Bioglass pipe, bunch of titanium rods in metal mesh and screws - when they have to remove more than 1 or just one artificial vertebrae attached with screws to the adjacent one.

The latter is actually good enough that after 1-2 months with orthopedic neck support it won't bother you much if any. In six months you could be jogging and living normal life with only small limit to your ability to turning your head on lateral axis. It may end up being stronger than rest of your spinal column. Lot depends on your age and bone density.

Former implant system is trickier but at least it would let you live without wheelchair. Unless you have had previous surgeries to your neck, chances of coming out of it without additional nerve damage are pretty good (surgeons have trouble telling nerve tissue and internal scar tissue apart - -may accidentally cut into nerves).

Maybe in your country you'd have other options as well, like 3D printed titanium vertebrae or smth else.

I've lost 3 vertebrae, my neck is mess of scar tissue both inside and out (after 5 surgeries it outwardly looks like somebody attacked me with a chainsaw AND broken bottle bunch of times) but in time (years) I should recover ~90% of right elbow/biceps/brachialis function and ~60% of shoulder functions. Legs are fine (I can walk ten klicks a day without any probs), left hand is fine. Right hand/shoulder had bunch of nerves re-wired to other endings - "just matter" of teaching body new "commands" and connections.

Comment

Working...
                      X