Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSolaris-Derived OmniOS CE Updated With A Ton Of Changes

Phoronix: OpenSolaris-Derived OmniOS CE Updated With A Ton Of Changes

In addition to OpenIndiana Hipster 2020.10 having just been released, OmniOS v11 r151036 as another operating system long ago derived from OpenSolaris is also out with a big new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really glad these teams are active in the wake of the aftermath of Sun/Oracle's tyranny, providing support for people who otherwise would be without it or would need to be exorbitant prices to retain it.

Comment

Articles like this make me think that desktop Linux will have serious competition from other open source operating systems in the coming years and I wonder how many ZoL users are going to transition over to a BSD or Solaris variant in the coming years as their desktops become more and more on par with Linux...basically better Wine and gaming since everything else seems to be in that varies by distribution category. From a ZFS user's perspective, BSD and Solaris based are better choices since they offer native ZFS integrated solutions like bootloaders and containers. From a desktop user's perspective, they're starting to become more and more appealing lately.

For someone like me that uses ZFS data disks with desktop Linux, the only thing holding me back is halfass gaming support. I'm not messed up about dual booting so halfass is good enough. Based on posts I've read here that time might be coming soon. Note the lack of ZFS root: I'm not really an Ubuntu user and I have better things to do than ensure I'm not about to FUBAR my system/GRUB on the next update by reading assloads of changelogs and release notes.

Michael Really? A pic of GRUB with Ubuntu 9.04 entries.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Got a better 'operating system' icon?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Got a better 'operating system' icon?
          I'd have to think on it throughout the day.

Generic or OS specific?

Comment

Articles like this make me think that desktop Linux will have serious competition from other open source operating systems in the coming years and I wonder how many ZoL users are going to transition over to a BSD or Solaris variant in the coming years as their desktops become more and more on par with Linux...basically better Wine and gaming since everything else seems to be in that varies by distribution category. From a ZFS user's perspective, BSD and Solaris based are better choices since they offer native ZFS integrated solutions like bootloaders and containers. From a desktop user's perspective, they're starting to become more and more appealing lately.

I have the opposite opinion. Years ago BSD and Illumos were the prime candidates if one wanted to use ZFS in a reliable manor. It's native to them so integration like bootable root snapshots were first class citizens pretty much from the start. Years ago ZFS on Linux clearly ran slower, had more bugs and used much more RAM then native integrations. I remember Linux being unable to reclaim back RAM from the ARC under tight memory pressure so it would swap like crazy. I used OmniOS in 2014-2015 in a NAS and was impressed with it. It had all the packages I needed and the automatic bootable snapshot with GRUB listing before a system update was reassuring. It wasn't until ZoL v0.6.5 in 2015 that the feature-set was comparable on Linux. In 2015 I switched to Proxmox by importing my pool over and never looked back. It's interesting how ZFS might become the go-to filesystem for Linux/BSD/Illumos/MacOS/Windows interoperability.

Now, the tides have turned. Instead of OpenZFS being developed on Illumos and ported over to BDS and Linux, the Linux port is the main activity and changes are flowing back into BSD and Illumos. Just recently BSD transitioned away from their former native code to porting over the ZoL codebase as their new native solution. For raw performance BSD and Illumos are still kings but the familiarity and convenience of Linux pushes it over the edge for the better overall solution. There's no longer a need to stick with BSD or Illumos for a normal workstation or NAS or VM server since Linux performance/integration will continue to increase with each release.

Comment

For someone like me that uses ZFS data disks with desktop Linux, the only thing holding me back is halfass gaming support.
              You're into gaming and you use Linux?!? Come on, if PC gaming is your thing you use Windows, much greater variety of games and better peripheral support. Better buy a PS4 (or P5 when it comes out) or XBOX and hook that up to a nice 50+ inch TV and play some great games.

I like a good game too, and I use Linux as my main OS, but if you really want to game, you buy a console first, then a Windows PC, and Linux should be at the bottom of your list.

Comment

Does this support UEFI yet?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

You're into gaming and you use Linux?!? Come on, if PC gaming is your thing you use Windows, much greater variety of games and better peripheral support. Better buy a PS4 (or P5 when it comes out) or XBOX and hook that up to a nice 50+ inch TV and play some great games.

I like a good game too, and I use Linux as my main OS, but if you really want to game, you buy a console first, then a Windows PC, and Linux should be at the bottom of your list.
                  That's why I said I'm not messed up about dual booting; sometimes I like to play emulators and older stuff and Linux usually has those needs met. The emulators and DOSBox based older stuff is pretty much covered, but Wine and native Linux games are a bit more hit and miss (becoming less so). It's nice when everything but the latest and greatest works w/o Windows and that currently gives Linux the edge in my internal OS debate.

What's funny is I could care less about a console this generation thanks to Microsoft and their "If it's on Xbox, it's on Windows" policy. That's pretty sweet and makes my preferred option of using a dual booting PC hooked up to a TV even more appealing.

Last console generation I bought a PS4 and a month later I gave it to my Dad for free. I hardly every played the damn thing and I kept buying PC games. I just hope I can talk him into going Xbox this generation so we can play more games together. PC and PS crossplay sucks and I'm not going to be giving him another free console this time around. As it is I depleted my new PC funds on a new bass and amp last night so I don't even have the money to buy me a console.

Comment

Illumos is a very powerful and capable OS. It can do things Linux can only dream about in the virtualization space. Sun was way ahead of their time when it comes to containers. All it needs is some market traction and acceptance..

(No, it does not need games Linux ppl.. )
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 04 November 2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X