Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cyrix View Post
    I They're closed but you get no issues.
    LOLOLOL - yeah. That's why I have had two machines with Nvidia GPUs that suddenly stopped booting on a system update? I swapped one out for a really old Radeon - it can barely drive a 4k monitor, but at least it boots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stefem View Post

Some people think they are smart enough to actually figure out what they are talking about and that they can teach other because they know better... yet failed to understand a basic and fundamental detail about this story, It was a guy that work for Facebook and not NVIDIA.
      Yes, it seems we are smarter than you, because we know what we're talking about.

Comment

They're closed but you get no issues.
        You've got to be kidding. Their drivers are utter mess even on Windows. It's totally unstable shit. At least on laptops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post

Nvidia was the first hardware manufacturer that supported Linux. Just in case you did not know.
          It seems we have different view what support means. I remember when they were blaming X for mediocre 2D performance of their blobs, but Intel and AMD had much better 2D acceleration same time. They did nothing to fix it. What's worse their drivers are closed source blobs, so they don't support Linux the same way AMD and Intel does. They support their hardware on Linux which isn't the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Volta View Post

You've got to be kidding. Their drivers are utter mess even on Windows. It's totally unstable shit. At least on laptops.
            I haven't used Windows for years so I can't comment on that. Also, all the laptops I had were Intel based. However, when you build your computer from parts, and so you're free from this Prime/Optimus crap, Nvidia is your best option if you want to have a stable working environment while being able to play games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zoll View Post
              So no one cared to elaborate what actual impact would this have on us end users?
              Good question. The point is, if I buy an Nv gpu download their driver and use it with their closed source linux driver, I should open it up against me.

In the case of gpl, one has to make available all derived works to the user of the software.
              The gpl is like the human rights, you can't state to have hr without adjuring them to everyone else your encounter. If your not, there is no right to claime hr for you either.

The only way I see for NV to deal with the GPL without complying it, is to create a free shim capable to eat windows driver binaries to circumvent the claim of derevativ works of the driver code. They wouldn't even need do upstream it, to avoid hassle discussing the saniti of this decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post

Learn how to sync.
                ForceCompositionPipeline? In KDE you need to force triple buffering. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ripleBuffering

With a Radeon GPU you don't need to do anything of that.

Comment

They're closed but you get no issues. And this has been like that for almost 20 years. .
                  Sorry pal, but this is not true. I used to work as sysadmin at university during my Phd. We had lots of NVida GPUs on the linux workstations. There were all sorts of problems with those GPUs. Especially when they were a little older. There is a long term support driver, however I recall vaguely recall nasty problems which didn't get fixed for months. So no, NVida drivers are NOT issue free. It's software, stupid.

Comment

Nvidia is your best option if you want to have a stable working environment while being able to play games.
                    That's probably the reason why Google did choose NVida for Stadia.

Comment

I don't know what's wrong with all the guys criticizing Nvidia.

Nobody's forcing you to buy Nvidia. You can have a 100% open-source Radeon system, albeit broken and unstable. Just take a look at https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues. But people often needs to get their work done and they can't afford their DE crashing twice a day.
                      Links to whats happening to me. I am running a Dell G3 3579 , with Ubuntu 19.04 x86_64 CPU is INTEL i78720h , GPU is NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti Mobi , also have Intel UHD graphics 630 onboard. Whenever I have My NVIDIA Graphics card as default I experience system hangs for 5 seconds then things continue as normal. I often see “nvLock: client timed out, taking the lock” in my syslog file. After switching back to the onboard Intel Graphics my system no longer experienced these hangs. I came ...

Having DE issues with Nvidia is what caused me to look at AMD cards. AMD has a nice little list that you can access on github of what is current wrong and exactly what version of driver will fix it. Nvidia you have to search the forums and be praying the next version of driver has the fix this is not a great experience.

Its like the person saying about VRR and Nvidia while not being aware that is currently broken. Currently the Nvidia closed source driver and the AMD open source driver the one that you have the lowest odds of a crash in a day is the AMD. I am not saying either is perfect. The reality is the Nvidia closed source and AMD open source drivers are both technically broken and both cause people to lose work. AMD upside with open source drivers is long support. Old the amd/nvidia card is the more stable the driver due to more debugging time. Yes Nvidia has a short live cycle of support so as Nvidia closed source drivers come almost 100 percent stable Nvidia stops supporting them. Part of that short lived cycle is Nvidia relaunching cards as well.

When AMD took over from ATI it was bumpy sorting out the ATI driver mess. AMD has successfully done that.

Yes the quality Nvidia provided in the 2000 to 2010 was way better. Yes AMD acquires ATI in 2005 takes them 5 years to start getting the drivers sorted out. From 2010 on the drivers on stability have been fairly close. Basically AMD has lifted the bar on how long cards have to be supported and the driver quality now Nvidia that was leading in that area now need to catch up. AMD has not caught up on silicon designs yet but for a lot of usages good enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X