X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
    Only buy Intel and AMD, since 2012.

<Stupid meaningless poster removed>
    Meanwhile I've recently got rid of the RX 5600 XT and bought the GTX 1660 Ti instead because AMD open source drivers suck ass (unstable, very high temps in idle, have serious bugs) and don't even support HW accelerated video decoding. So much for AMD being open source "friendly".

I prefer to use a GPU which has high quality drivers vs. a GPU which has open source drivers because open source is not a freaking magical pill which provides quality.
    Last edited by birdie; 14 August 2020, 07:44 AM.

Comment

You can sell bad hardware and get better one. I've recently sold my Pascal card, as Nvidia apparently screwed up Vesa VRR via DP for these cards, despite of telling otherwise and offering a pseudo-fix firmware update. Got a secondhand RX 480 as a replacement for the 1070, and wow: It feels more like a hardware upgrade, despite of the slower GPU.
      I even gave a Turing card a chance before and was astounded to see that the Vulkan driver was slower than that for Pascal on Linux vs. Windows. And of course VRR didn't work correctly either on Linux.
      How can one voluntarily use this crap? If people can't make the proper decision for themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Meanwhile I've recently got rid of the RX 5600 XT and bought the GTX 1660 Ti instead because AMD open source drivers suck ass (unstable, very high temps in idle, have serious bugs) and don't even support HW accelerated video decoding. So much for AMD being open source "friendly".
        Mesa or AMD opensource? Mesa is stable and fast - only had issues when running git snapshots - it also supports video acceleration on both encode and decode.

I prefer to use a GPU which has high quality drivers vs. a GPU which has open source drivers because open source is not a freaking magical pill which provides quality.
        The NVIDIA driver isn't high quality - if they did what AMD did, then we could talk. Currently the best driver you can use is RadeonSI on Mesa....

Comment

LOL

vainfo
          vainfo: VA-API version: 1.8 (libva 2.8.0)
          vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 20.1.5 for AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.37.0, 5.7.12-arch1-1, LLVM 10.0.1)
          vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
          VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Simple : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Main : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileHEVCMain : VAEntrypointEncSlice
          VAProfileHEVCMain10 : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileJPEGBaseline : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVP9Profile0 : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileVP9Profile2 : VAEntrypointVLD
          VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc

Comment

I think it's time to sell my notebook with Nvidia. But there is a problem - good AMD-based notebooks (or at least Intel+Radeon) market is almost nonexistent in my country. Amazon and Ebay wont send anything to me with 99% probability. F**k Nvidia for that.

Comment

Originally posted by BtbN View Post
              So people pushing ideologies are once again making life harder for people who just want to use their hardware.
              I'm surprised BSD isn't getting more traction due to this, to then eventually just give up on Linux. Would save a lot of headaches.
              I'm a prime user for that assessment. The reason I can't make the switch is simply games. That was my reason for staying on Linux back in 2004 and it's the same reason I stick with Linux in 2020. Gaming on BSD vs Linux in 2020 is like comparing gaming on Linux vs Windows circa 2014 (and 2014 is really stretching it). By that I mean -- yeah, some stuff works, but a person is better off using another OS unless they're just really into BSD and are willing to live with a majority of their games not working for the time being.

Think about it. *BSD has all the major DEs and WMs so choice of desktop isn't a factor. *BSD has all the same open source programs that you'll find on most any Linux distribution's repo so using the open source programs you want to run isn't a factor. If you're into audio/video, office work, image manipulation, web browsing, programming, and most other computing tasks, *BSD has you covered. But then you get bored and want to play some KSP

There have been quite a few *BSD gaming developments recently so it'll be very interesting to see if Linux can retain as many users as it has if *BSD can play just as many games as Linux in the upcoming years.

Comment

Y'all are missing the key phrase of birdie's post -- RX 5600 XT. It's a known thing among the AMD Linux crowd that the newest AMD GPUs usually have bad to horrible Linux support for up to a year, sometimes more. A Linux user, possibly into gaming, swapping out a new AMD card for a new Nvidia card shouldn't surprise a whole lot of people.

Comment

A driver that doesn't prevent tearing is high quality? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    I'm really curious what this means to Canonical (ZFS) and Google (Android).
                    No idea or care about canonical/zfs because zfs can burn in hell.
                    No impact at all on google/android, since it doesn't use blob module shims/condoms, which isn't to say that there isn't some retard vendor who doesn't get into that mess, just that Android itself doesn't, and neither does the hardware on recent Pixel phones (which use mesa/freedreno).

Comment

BSD failed? When? Where? What are you smoking? FreeBSD is very much alive and kicking.
                      BSD failed relative to Linux. It didn't get the same level of attention, and the vast majority of software available was built with other OSes in mind.
                      Of course, success here is a matter of perspective, but to say BSD didn't fail would also mean that ReactOS or Haiku didn't fail.

Comment

Working...
                      X