Zstd'ing The Kernel Might See Mainline With Linux 5.9 For Faster Boot Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd'ing The Kernel Might See Mainline With Linux 5.9 For Faster Boot Times

Phoronix: Zstd'ing The Kernel Might See Mainline With Linux 5.9 For Faster Boot Times

It looks like the long ongoing work for compressing the Linux kernel image with Zstd might finally soon be mainlined, potentially for next month's Linux 5.9 cycle kicking off as the "v6" patches sent out this week were done as a Git pull request...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Didn't Ubuntu already have done something like this ?
    I don't know about others, but I would prefer faster boot speed than saved space.
    There are many case where I need to boot the laptop or desktop and find some information as fast as possible like looking for an address on a map or something from the computer itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Didn't Ubuntu already have done something like this ?
      I don't know about others, but I would prefer faster boot speed than saved space.
      smaller (compressed) kernel with fast unpack speed = faster boot. zstd is designed to decompress quickly, pretty much on par with gzip. it actually seems to pull ahead in decompression in benchmarks.

on low-end embedded hardware things might be different, though.

Comment

yep, that's why #t2sde switched to zstd for everything, packages, kernel & initrd since three years already ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQee4IDoUow

Comment

About time.

Comment

Zstd can decompress faster than lz4 at some equivalent ratios for some data. It is really impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              smaller (compressed) kernel with fast unpack speed = faster boot. zstd is designed to decompress quickly, pretty much on par with gzip. it actually seems to pull ahead in decompression in benchmarks.

on low-end embedded hardware things might be different, though.
              The difference might be smaller, but I'd guess that it will beat everything but lz4/lzo in speed even on microcontrollers.
              Its design omits branches whenever possible, that's a win everywhere, the only real downside to alternatives would be the comparable huge decompression code (I did not manage to get this below 64K) - which is the knockout argument for microcontrollers.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                (I did not manage to get this below 64K)
                I managed to get the decompression code down to ~15 KB with just a few macro definitions and compilation flags (documented on the project's page).

Comment

Not sure if pzstd parallel decompressionthreads are an option before the kernel is running but wow looking forward to testing 5.9.

Comment

Would be nice to update the zstd lib in the kernel, still pretty old and missing latest improvements I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X