Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

*BIRDIE-mon is paralized*
    I've never denied issues in Windows. You must have mistaken me with someone else. I can't even say "nice try" - more like "a completely lame and stupid attempt at being sarcastic" but then it's hard to expect smart things from open source fanatics who refuse to admit issues.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Again a sample size of one. Here ......
      And there are over 200 bugs in 5.6, too.

There are always bugs, and many of the bugs in every release are due to specific configurations/hardware.

That is not intended to minimize the impact to the specific impacted individuals, but one should always expect, and accept, that a few individuals will hit those edge cases (if you wait for absolutely perfect for all possible use cases you never release any software). If one is constantly impacted, perhaps one should plan to test more regularly and provide patches to resolve the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

There are always bugs, and many of the bugs in every release are due to specific configurations/hardware.

That is not intended to minimize the impact to the specific impacted individuals, but one should always expect, and accept, that a few individuals will hit those edge cases (if you wait for absolutely perfect for all possible use cases you never release any software). If one is constantly impacted, perhaps one should plan to test more regularly and provide patches to resolve the issues.
        I'm perfectly aware of the great number of regressions in each kernel release but I just cannot let it pass when certain individuals say that this or that kernel release is fine just because it works for them. And many people cannot even file bug reports at all (or report them elsewhere) which means the kernel bugzilla doesn't even represent the real number of regressions/corner cases and the status quo which is quite upsetting.

Comment

I've never denied issues in Windows. You must have mistaken me with someone else. I can't even say "nice try" - more like "a completely lame and stupid attempt at being sarcastic" but then it's hard to expect smart things from open source fanatics who refuse to admit issues.
          i never deny any issues. Just by looking at the statistics there is nothing perfect . And yes I`m an opensource fanatic. Because there are exceptions good and bad on the opensource side but with opensource I or the community of affected users have the opportunity to fix it. With closed source we are depending on the goodwill of the software owner.
          Last edited by CochainComplex; 07 June 2020, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I'm perfectly aware of the great number of regressions in each kernel release but I just cannot let it pass when certain individuals say that this or that kernel release is fine just because it works for them. And many people cannot even file bug reports at all (or report them elsewhere) which means the kernel bugzilla doesn't even represent the real number of regressions/corner cases and the status quo which is quite upsetting.
            sane and proofed ...nice

Comment

Point me to Windows bugzilla, so I will report dozens of issues I have with it. The same about my friends. Oh, wait. There's no windows bugzilla and hundreds of windows issues remain unresolved. Another hundreds of them aren't even reported. To make a fair comparisons we should include every windows driver bug as well!
              Last edited by Volta; 07 June 2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Benign is a bit of an odd description, given how the changelog mentions fixing CVE-2020-10757. Seems to me like urgency is the most likely reason why there's a point release with only fifteen patches.

Comment

Again a sample size of one. Here take this.
                  You sure have filed a lot of kernel complaints haven't you....

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                    And probably all from birdie

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

i never deny any issues. Just by looking at the statistics there is nothing perfect . And yes I`m an opensource fanatic. Because there are exceptions good and bad on the opensource side but with opensource I or the community of affected users have the opportunity to fix it. With closed source we are depending on the goodwill of the software owner.
                      You're under the impression that there are enough smart and knowledgable people contributing to open source which means all the bugs will be eventually solved. This can't be further from the truth - bugs in open source linger for up to 25 years because either no one cares, or no one is smart enough to solve them.

Speaking of proprietary software: when there's a feature which is broken for far too many people it almost always gets solved quite fast because ISVs need to sell software and they can't solve something which doesn't work for far too many. Again, not all the bugs are solved but since the number of users of proprietary software is usually a lot higher than the number of open source users, bugs in closed source software have more chances to be fixed.

Comment

Working...
                      X