Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could JPEG2000 Finally Take Off In 2020? It's A Possibility With High Throughput HTJ2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Why couldn't they rename the year? Like JPEG 2020?
    The name reminds me of a Futurama episode.... "JPEGs... OF THE FUTURE!!"

Comment

I disagree with this premise that JPEG2000 performs worse than JPEG. The windowed DCT that JPEG uses is much more prone to blocking artifacts than the wavelet transforms JPEG2000 has available.

Comment

Originally posted by ndegruchy View Post
        Yeah, it's a major uphill battle to get people to switch from a ubiquitous format like JPEG. Even Google struggles getting WebP going in places other than browsers.
        Well they are pushing the use of WebP in Android apps. It does help in reducing image file sizes when compared to PNG, most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Blahblah View Post
          I disagree with this premise that JPEG2000 performs worse than JPEG. The windowed DCT that JPEG uses is much more prone to blocking artifacts than the wavelet transforms JPEG2000 has available.
          I don't think anyone claimed that it is worse in terms of compression ratio. It's just not clearly better. The artefacts are just different. JPEG2000 doesn't have blocking, but you get excessive blurring and ringing instead. What looks better to human vision really depends on the specific case. in some cases, the blocking artefacts of JPEG even become an advantage.

Comment

Sounds a lot like PGF, I wonder which is faster. (no, I won't fill a captcha, screw you google)

Comment

It's nice that JPEG2000 is faster, but if that's the only benefit of it (especially since, after reading the comments, it's not necessarily better looking) then I don't see that as a reason to transition the industry. Loading a JPEG isn't a tediously slow process by today's standards; in my experience, the size of the image is a greater bottleneck than the decompression. However, I could see an incentive to switch if it means improved writing performance, since that would benefit content creators.

What I'd much rather see is a format with better color depth, particularly for cameras to use. That way if you decided not to shoot raw, you'd have a greater chance at fixing over/under exposed images without sacrificing so much disk space, and in turn, write time (though I'd say any professional photographer worth hiring is always going to shoot raw no matter what).

Comment

Does anyone here remember MP3 PRO?

This is the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                  First, there is certainly a need for better picture compression. Just try to upload all your documtens for a job application with a reasonable quality and a hard limit on 2 or 4 MB (as mandated by a lot of public employers over here and that is not per file but for EVERYTHING combined - and don't laugh at me, ancient workflows and legacy IT are still a thing in my sector).

And for this reason alone, I scanned all of my important documents and saved them as JPEG2000 files, but unfortunately JPEG2000 is not a widely supported format (especially in the public sector). A better option with more industry support behind it is just around the corner (as was already mentioned by others, I think AVIF has the best chance to de-throne JPEG), hence I cannot see a bright future for JPEG2000 to get any meaningful traction.
                  I just use PDF for resumes (just text and formatting, no images).
                  ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    It's nice that JPEG2000 is faster, but if that's the only benefit of it (especially since, after reading the comments, it's not necessarily better looking) then I don't see that as a reason to transition the industry. Loading a JPEG isn't a tediously slow process by today's standards; in my experience, the size of the image is a greater bottleneck than the decompression. However, I could see an incentive to switch if it means improved writing performance, since that would benefit content creators.

What I'd much rather see is a format with better color depth, particularly for cameras to use. That way if you decided not to shoot raw, you'd have a greater chance at fixing over/under exposed images without sacrificing so much disk space, and in turn, write time (though I'd say any professional photographer worth hiring is always going to shoot raw no matter what).
                    Faster decoding and encoding is highly beneficial for mobile device.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

In addition to what brent already said, I just wanted to point out that even Apple joined AOMedia, albeit later than other main contributors. I guess that is a sign that even Apple thinks that AV1 and AVIF are the way forward.
                      No, it's a sign that Apple is willing to contribute some IP to interoperate with HEIV/HEIC/HEIF. Apple won't abandon HEIC as it has proven quite invaluable already in the macOS/iOS/tvOS/WatchOS ecosystem.

Comment

Working...
                      X