Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    By that logic, neither XFS nor exFAT are native Linux
    Are you stupid? I clearly said that "native" = "no shim/wrapper".
    What shim or wrapper is necessary to use XFS and exFAT?

See, XFS didn't originate on Linux and was ported. Using that logic, does that make the Final Fantasy Tactics port on the Android Store a native PSX game and not a native Android game?
    Final Fantasy Tactics can be called "native" PSX game if someone has actually altered the source code of the original application to work directly in the PSX OS (no idea of what OS that is).
    If someone just placed it into a wrapper that works like Wine, or that wraps OpenGL/Vulkan to whatever API is used in the PSX then it's not native.

Like console ports. It's called "port" as a derogatory term because someone took the binary, tossed it in some kind of external wrapper software like Wine and called it a day. This degrades performance as the application is adapted to do OS calls in an order or in a way that is good for the OS it was developed for, but will not be optimal for the OS it is now running in, even if the wrapper remaps them to appropriate OS calls.

Using the Linux userspace is a compat layer to the kernel defense -- then, technically speaking, they are since that isn't much different than getting a closed source program for Linux, like pSX, to work by using old libraries to make a legacy Linux compat layer.

That's not a defense I'd use because "compiled for another OS" is clearly where I draw my line in the sand, but the argument does work. Technically speaking, however, programs using FlatSnaps also fall under that category since they're essentially Linux compat layers on Linux for Linux programs.
    You are making no sense.
    Native applications make appropriate system calls for the OS they are used in. It does not matter that a Flatpak application is using its own "OS libraries" in its runtime instead of the stuff outside. It's still Linux OS calls to Linux OS libraries, regardless of how they are packaged.

"compiled for another OS" is exactly what needs a shim or a wrapper, as it is making calls that DO NOT exist in this OS and the developer is just redirecting them to the shim or wrapper instead of fixing the code to use the current OS API.

But, "compiled on my OS, by me, yet has a shim" is something I consider native.
    So if you compile a windows application on Linux (yes you can, with mingw toolchain for Linux) now the application becomes "native linux"? Are you on drugs?

What defines if an application is native or not is its system calls. If it's doing alien system calls it's "compiled for another OS" and it is not native, end of the story. The shim is a separate thing that remaps the system calls to those of your OS.

IMHO, it really doesn't get any more "native Linux" than "-march=native -mtune=native"
    Seriously you can't be this dumb. Please tell me you are joking.

Those options are just compiling for your current CPU architecture, and that has nothing to do with what OS you are on. You can compile Windows applications too with that (if you use GCC of course).

On this page, the ZoL disclaimer page, it is only referred to as Native ZFS on Linux three times. I guess that makes them triple liars.
    You can call "dog" a duck, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

"Historical reasons" are worth mentioning
    No they are not. None asked for that here.

But retarded or not (at least I admit it), it does make some sense -- why would the Linux kernel big money backers actually want ZFS in the kernel? To show how they wasted money over a decade on file systems and volume managers and encryption layers that still aren't anywhere near the level of quality and integration that ZFS offers now?
    Ah come on, quit this theories, this isn't a woman's romance fiction. If we want to be honest about this, ZFS people never really tried to get in a merge trajectory either, at most they shot some semi-serious messages just for the sake of blaming LKML devs for ignoring them.

That said, you want an answer? I have an answer. It makes sense too and does not even require being retarded.

Considering how basically none gave 2 shits about btrfs RAID5-6 (and higher, btrfs was supposed to let you choose your redundancy level and so on), and that even now it's not really ready for production regardless of what fanbois say, I can safely say that none of the ones paying big money gives 2 shits about most of ZFS features at all.

Really, even OpenSUSE and Ubuntu are mostly using btrfs/ZFS as single disk with no data redundancy, just for snapshots and CoW. OpenSUSE VERY recently (a few months ago) added support for multi-device btrfs in their Yast partitioner application.

But why that? Where have all gone those that want something like ZFS in the businness sector? Elsewhere of course. But where? Did they migrate en-masse to FreeBSD? Eh no probably not, as it seems most companies that use ZFS in their own product are migrating to Linux themselves.

ZFS was born in an age where single humongous servers were still a thing, and if you needed big storage you needed a big server.

Then SAN and distributed storage came, with the various Lustre, GFS2, MooseFS/LizardFS, and whatnot, there are many others.

Those filesystems allow infinite filesystem size (just add moar servers), completely ridiculous speed (as more servers participate in sending data for reads and caching data writes), and more, while also doing checksums and redundancy at the array level, you could lose entire physical servers and the SAN would just not care and rebuild.

All the big players have already moved on to them, so the main people still asking for RAID5-6 and data integrity are home users. And we all know none gives a fuck about those damn freeloaders, am I right? Screw the poor, praise the rich.

As for most other businness usage in small, single-server deployments, the client either does not understand or care about anything more than mdadm and LVM, and it's common to get hardware raid cards (real ones, with cache and battery) doing anything more than RAID 1.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      [...]As for most other businness usage in small, single-server deployments, the client either does not understand or care about anything more than mdadm and LVM, and it's common to get hardware raid cards (real ones, with cache and battery) doing anything more than RAID 1.
      Since what time HW-based RAID1 ensures good e.g. not corrupted data in case of drive problem are loaded into the RAM? Never seen that up to the time Sun came with ZFS...

Not sure about your client(s), but my clients certainly care about their data...

Comment

Originally posted by kgardas View Post
        Since what time HW-based RAID1 ensures good e.g. not corrupted data in case of drive problem are loaded into the RAM? Never seen that up to the time Sun came with ZFS...

Not sure about your client(s), but my clients certainly care about their data...
        If so much clients cared about checksumming, Windows server would not exist, RHEL would not exist, SUSE enterprise would not exist and everyone would be using Solaris and FreeBSD as those were the only ones that had ZFS support for a long while.

The entire point of RAID is to protect agains disk failure, data integrity provided by hardware ECC in the drives themselves is enough for most single server customers.

Seriously, how did the world survive when ZFS didn't exist? Servers didn't blow up, data wasn't lost and so on, it matters only in very rare cases.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 06 November 2019, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          But retarded or not (at least I admit it), it does make some sense -- why would the Linux kernel big money backers actually want ZFS in the kernel? To show how they wasted money over a decade on file systems and volume managers and encryption layers that still aren't anywhere near the level of quality and integration that ZFS offers now?
          I puked in my mouth.

They don't want ZFS in the kernel because it's not correctly licensed and Oracle have done nothing to resolve it. Until it's upstream it will always be a second class citizen, which is how things like https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ux-5.0-Problem happen.

I'd keep your money on XFS and BTRFS rather than wasting time with ZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            They don't want ZFS in the kernel because it's not correctly licensed and Oracle have done nothing to resolve it.
            Nitpick:
            It's more like none of them is bold enough to sponsor ZFS's merge into mainline just to prove a point.

There have been no serious attempts at merging ZFS upstream, and not even Canonical that has decided to use it as their new FS has any plans to try doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Red Hat and SUSE will be interoperable given that they're both using upstream filesystems and functionality. Red Hats never going to move away from XFS anyway.

Ubuntu ZFS installs will only be able to be mounted by the Ubuntutified Linux-kernel or kernels with an out of tree module loaded.
              This isn't true. ZFS is a universal cross platform filesystem. You can mount pools on Linux, macOS, FreeBSD, Illumos and Windows today. The codebase is being merged in OpenZFS now for all of them into one repo.

That is 5 OS's.. btrfs/xfs/stratus.. aka "duct tape fs" supports.. 1?

Out of tree module? You mean like Nvidias? lol Before you start complaining about this... can I ask you Britoid.. what kind of graphics cards do you have?

Last edited by k1e0x; 06 November 2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                This isn't true.
                No part of your post contradicts what he said, so no, what he said is still true.
                (open)ZFS isn't upstream anywhere and is not installed by default (or even available in first party repos) on any Linux distro apart from Ubuntu, and is also not available by default in Windows and MacOS (where their kernels need an out-of-tree module loaded, just as it does with Linux).

ZFS is a universal cross platform filesystem.
                That will just serve as an incentive to abandon inferior platforms like BSD and illumos-UNIX and flock towards Linux, which is one of the main reasons RHEL, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu have all chosen different filesystems as they don't want to lose their userbase to a competitor.

Out of tree module? You mean like Nvidias? lol Before you start complaining about this... can I ask you Britoid.. what kind of graphics cards do you have?
                People on Linux can use AMD and Intel graphics too, you know.

Comment

No part of your post contradicts what he said, so no, what he said is still true.
                  (open)ZFS isn't upstream anywhere and is not installed by default (or even available in first party repos) on any Linux distro apart from Ubuntu, and is also not available by default in Windows and MacOS (where their kernels need an out-of-tree module loaded, just as it does with Linux).

That will just serve as an incentive to abandon inferior platforms like BSD and illumos-UNIX and flock towards Linux, which is one of the main reasons RHEL, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu have all chosen different filesystems as they don't want to lose their userbase to a competitor.

Um, Manjaro has ZFS in their first party repos and had a ZFS installer over two years ago (twas hidden and activated by launching their installer with, IIRC, --experimental...run their installer with --help to see if it is still available).

Here's a link to one of their mirrors....just scroll down to the bottom of the page if the "extra" or "community" in my Pamac screenshot isn't enough of a confirmation that Manjaro includes it by default in their repos as both modules for every LTS, stable, mainline, and RC kernel (which you'd see if I felt like tweaking my font settings) and via DKMS for custom kernels.

Comment

Here is SuSE (and Fedora) ZFS packages in base. https://software.opensuse.org/package/zfs Debian's had it for about the past 7 versions also.

It looks like *every* major Linux distro has ZFS available in default repos.. and why wouldn't they? Do they not want good things?

I'm just trying to figure out where this (honestly bullshit) is coming from..

Nvidia owns ~75% of the graphics card market according to steam. I own one and some AMD cards.. they are good. Nobody seems to complain much about the CLOSED SOURCE & OUT OF TREE graphics driver. And if you are you are running Nvidia and bitching about ZFS you are a total hypocrite. That tells me that Linux users don't give a rats ass about the license.. in general. a few are purists. and if you are cool.. whatever. Be pure as driven snow.

But ZFS is OPEN SOURCE. So is this just a pissing contest between "My open source license is better than your open source license"?

I don't even think that is true because ZFS's license the CDDL is very close to the GPL and in the same spirit of the GPL. If you make changes to CDDL licensed code you are required by the license to share that code with the community. The *implementation* and *restrictiveness* of the license is what is different. In fact.. the CDDL is more permissive and therefore more "free" than the GPL is.

No, I really think this fud comes down to misunderstanding Oracle's relationship here and the nature of the CDDL. Well they have zero involvement.. so glad I could clear that up for you.

And... btw.. have you looked at the features of zsys they are implementing? There is some super cool stuff in there like GUI's for doing ZFS send and recieve, allowing you to automate an encrypted ZFS backup to google drive. And Natulius integration too. These are cool features that users want. You are legitimately hurting Linux users and Linux adoption by trying to suppress this technology.. so.. I mean.. suit yourself.. You want to keep features away from people.. fine by me but just remember.. we could have had those features 10 years ago when ZFS was opensourced. That is a 10 year + leap on anything Microsoft has.. yet.. I'm sure they are working on something..
                    Last edited by k1e0x; 06 November 2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Here is SuSE (and Fedora) ZFS packages in base. https://software.opensuse.org/package/zfs Debian's had it for about the past 7 versions also.

It looks like *every* major Linux distro has ZFS available in default repos.. and why wouldn't they? Do they not want good things?
                      Technically speaking, those Suse ZFS packages aren't included in their default repositories and require using either their Official Experimental Filesystems or some random Community Provided repository and all those Fedora ones are all Community Provided. All Fedora has OOTB is ZFS-Fuse, libguestfs-zfs, and some GoLang ZFS wrappers.

Out of the box, Ubuntu and Manjaro....and apparently Debian from Old Stable to Sid too. Been a while since I searched the Debian repos.

Comment

Working...
                      X