ZFS/Zsys Improvements Are Already Underway For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Technically speaking, those Suse ZFS packages aren't included in their default repositories and require using either their Official Experimental Filesystems or some random Community Provided repository and all those Fedora ones are all Community Provided. All Fedora has OOTB is ZFS-Fuse, libguestfs-zfs, and some GoLang ZFS wrappers.

Out of the box, Ubuntu and Manjaro....and apparently Debian from Old Stable to Sid too. Been a while since I searched the Debian repos.
    I ran SuSE for a while.. pretty sure I just zypper install zfs. Maybe they pulled it.. either way it wasn't hard. I put it on CentOS pretty easily too. (on root)

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

I ran SuSE for a while.. pretty sure I just zypper install zfs. Maybe they pulled it.. either way it wasn't hard. I put it on CentOS pretty easily too. (on root)
      Perhaps, but when I used Suse for a month around March this year, it wasn't available via their official, on by default, repos and the ZoL FAQs all link to that same page you did for Suse support.

As far as Fedora/RHEL/CentOS all go, ZoL provides repositories for those distributions with links available on both their GitHub repo and homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Um, Manjaro has ZFS in their first party repos and had a ZFS installer over two years ago (twas hidden and activated by launching their installer with, IIRC, --experimental...run their installer with --help to see if it is still available).
        Yeah ok, ok, Ubuntu AND Manjaro.

I thought only Antergos (now dead) had ZFS support.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Yeah ok, ok, Ubuntu AND Manjaro.

I thought only Antergos (now dead) had ZFS support.
          For a time I believe they both had the same installer with the same hidden settings and, these days, some of their community isos have basic ZFS on Root support.

That said, I didn't care for it on Antergos. Something about updating to the latest mainline while using zfs-dkms lead to too damn many oh noes upon reboot and I learned to just always keep a LiveUSB plugged into my motherboard's internal USB port (that's something I do regardless these days) for quick chroot kernel downgrades (I had to learn the hard way not to use the restroom during a pacman -Syu ).

And Debian has it too (not via the installer on root though )

Comment

Here is SuSE (and Fedora) ZFS packages in base. https://software.opensuse.org/package/zfs
            That's not "in base". That's OpenSUSE OBS, which is a package building service similar to Ubuntu's PPA for third party repositories.

Debian's had it for about the past 7 versions also.
            Ok they do, it's in contrib repo but it's at least official and enabled by default. Not available in the installer I think, so it's still treated as second-class filesystem, available as an option for those who need it after installation.

It looks like *every* major Linux distro has ZFS available in default repos
            No they don't. So far you have only managed to correct me on Debian and Manjaro isn't really a major distro.

Do they not want good things?
            Apparently not.

Nobody seems to complain much about the CLOSED SOURCE & OUT OF TREE graphics driver.
            You haven't been much on Phoronix right? Every thread about NVIDIA there is someone complaining about that, and how out-of-tree drivers do break when you update some component they rely on.

So is this just a pissing contest between "My open source license is better than your open source license"?
            No, why every time someone pulls ZFS out then it must be a license zealot.

I don't even think that is true
            Your opinion on legal matters isn't worth much. Companies with legal teams have decided, even Canonical's legal team didn't tell them they could try to push ZFS to mainline, the best they are allowed to do is to ship it in the initramfs as a module.

And... btw.. have you looked at the features of zsys they are implementing?
            I agree on having a decent interface for zfs functionality. One of the reasons I'm on OpenSUSE is that it provides some interface for btrfs advanced functionality.

You are legitimately hurting Linux users and Linux adoption by trying to suppress this technology
            I'm just stating facts. I'm not responsible if distros aren't all embracing ZFS.

just remember.. we could have had those features 10 years ago when ZFS was opensourced.
            What I said still applies. Next-gen filesystems are a killer feature. Major distros that are also a commercial product are all using different next-gen filesystem to lock-in their customers, and it's not strange.

The "killer" effect of the "killer feature" will go into effect once Ubuntu's ZFS support and management utilities are stabilized and production ready (won't take long, even for fucking noobs like Canonical), just watch how Illumos finally dies off and FreeNAS begins to struggle for air.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 11-07-2019, 12:11 AM.

Comment

This is a OpenSUSE Tumbleweed system with default repos + packman for the proprietary/licensed media codecs and such

Code:
              sudo zypper search zfs
              [sudo] password for root:
              Retrieving repository 'packman' metadata ..............................................................................................................................................[done]
              Building repository 'packman' cache ...................................................................................................................................................[done]
              Retrieving repository 'repo-debug' metadata ...........................................................................................................................................[done]
              Building repository 'repo-debug' cache ................................................................................................................................................[done]
              Retrieving repository 'repo-non-oss' metadata .........................................................................................................................................[done]
              Building repository 'repo-non-oss' cache ..............................................................................................................................................[done]
              Retrieving repository 'repo-oss' metadata .............................................................................................................................................[done]
              Building repository 'repo-oss' cache ..................................................................................................................................................[done]
              Loading repository data...
              Reading installed packages...

S | Name              | Summary                                            | Type  
              --+-------------------+----------------------------------------------------+--------
                | lzfse             | Reference C implementation of the LZFSE compressor | package
                | lzfse-debuginfo   | Debug information for package lzfse                | package
                | lzfse-debugsource | Debug sources for package lzfse                    | package
                | lzfse-devel       | Reference C implementation of the LZFSE compressor | package
              I don't see any zfs in there I'm afraid.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 11-07-2019, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                No they don't. So far you have only managed to correct me on Debian and Manjaro isn't really a major distro.
                I'm not correcting you and I'm not talking to you. You're not an intelligent person and you're comments have very little value other than troll humor. Why would I correct a fool?

You're like that nerd in the conversation that is all "Welll... Actually.." in the most nasally annoying voice ever.

Comment

Working...
                X