GNU Wget2 Reaches Beta With Faster Download Speeds, New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardje View Post

The current wget's support for IPv6 is a hack. There are so many ways it does not work. I switched to using curl sometimes combined with socat (a 4 year old curl needs socat, because curl also had a tiny bug 4 years ago, but that's something I still need to use).
    Too bad, because in every other way, wget was really user friendly. But the IPv4 was deeply in the code and commandline scanners. Even the busybox version of wget was ahead of the main wget in respect of IPv6.
    Anyway, that was the case with many utilities. That's how I found socat: after hacking ipv6 support into utility n, I found socat and stopped doing things that socat already did correctly more than 4 years ago.
    What did it do wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I wasn't aware wget was so heavy on CPU usage. What exactly makes it so high to warrant multithreading? Even on 100Mbps down, I always got the impression it was bottlenecked by the network, though I can't say I ever really paid close attention to CPU usage whenever I use it. I suppose if you're downloading something on a LAN, the CPU usage will spike. But at that point, why not just use some other local file transfer service?

To clarify - I'm not complaining they made it multithreaded, I'm just a bit surprised it demands so much.
      I'm gonna guess:

In many cases Wget2 downloads much faster than Wget1.x due to HTTP2, HTTP compression, parallel connections and use of If-Modified-Since HTTP header.
      It sounds to me like parallel connections alone justifies multi-threading, but aside from that I'm guessing stuff like on-the-fly decompression being spun out to a separate thread would really benefit performance on smaller, but parallel, CPUs. Not every system is even as powerful as an i3.

Comment

Wait, I have a question.
        When wget2 comes out, will it be called in the command line as "wget" or "wget2"? (like " mplayer" and "mplayer2")

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I wasn't aware wget was so heavy on CPU usage. What exactly makes it so high to warrant multithreading? Even on 100Mbps down, I always got the impression it was bottlenecked by the network, though I can't say I ever really paid close attention to CPU usage whenever I use it. I suppose if you're downloading something on a LAN, the CPU usage will spike. But at that point, why not just use some other local file transfer service?

To clarify - I'm not complaining they made it multithreaded, I'm just a bit surprised it demands so much.
          A common case for wget is to download a complete site (it's one of the major features in wget) with all the media of the site, so there can be thousands of parallel downloads depending on the size of the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post

The current wget's support for IPv6 is a hack. There are so many ways it does not work. I switched to using curl sometimes combined with socat (a 4 year old curl needs socat, because curl also had a tiny bug 4 years ago, but that's something I still need to use).
            Too bad, because in every other way, wget was really user friendly. But the IPv4 was deeply in the code and commandline scanners. Even the busybox version of wget was ahead of the main wget in respect of IPv6.
            Anyway, that was the case with many utilities. That's how I found socat: after hacking ipv6 support into utility n, I found socat and stopped doing things that socat already did correctly more than 4 years ago.
            That sounds really strange, the bsd sockets interface is completely agnostic regarding IPv4 vs IPv6 for everything other than setup so I don't really understand how "IPv4 was deeply in the code"?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Wait, I have a question.
              When wget2 comes out, will it be called in the command line as "wget" or "wget2"? (like " mplayer" and "mplayer2")
              It's been out for awhile now, and yes you invoke it with wget2.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

It's been out for awhile now, and yes you invoke it with wget2.

(unless wget2 has a different flagset from wget)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

(unless wget2 has a different flagset from wget)
                  $ man wget2

Comment

I think the most exciting feature is the command line options for --tls-session-file and --tls-resume. These have the potential to greatly improve performance for multiple calls that hit the same web server.

Things I would have liked to see that didn't make the cut:

- Additional better persistence between runs such as starting a sub-process as a per user service. Additional runs could perform the network connection over sockets to the existing service. This could reduce the number of SYN/SYN-ACK packets resulting from multiple runs. If the service is not used for an extended length of time, it could automatically quit.

- Directly support DNS over HTTPS (DoH). It is possible to use OS libraries that provide resolving over DoH but it would be nice to also be able to specify Wget2 perform DNS resolutions itself as an alternative of going through the OS resolver.

- SOCKS4 and SOCKS5 proxy support. It would be nice to sometimes use a SOCKS proxy (such as the ssh client -D option flag) to access sites that can't be accessed directly and when there is HTTP proxy available. curl can be used to do this but it would be nice to also be able to do it with wget2 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
                      Everything is being parallelized as chip designs get wider and slower.
                      Right, just look at those pesky Zen chips. +15% boost in single core perf (Ryzen gens 1 and 3) and 100% boost in core count in the HEDT segment

Comment

Working...
                      X