Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Wget2 Reaches Beta With Faster Download Speeds, New Features

Phoronix: GNU Wget2 Reaches Beta With Faster Download Speeds, New Features

GNU Wget2 is a from scratch rewrite of the popular wget downloading utility. GNU Wget2 wraps around the libwget library while now being multi-threaded and supporting other features to provide better performance over the current wget releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And I hope it's IPv6 compliant. Not like the original wget.

Comment

Seems really nice with a library that it use and that can be used by other applications and support for HTTP/2.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
        And I hope it's IPv6 compliant. Not like the original wget.
        The feature list says it supports IPv6 https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2

Also modern wget supports IPv6.

Comment

Nice!!!

Comment

I hope it works better than version 1.99.1. It was running quite a bit slower than wget for me, and verbose mode was not working. wget is still plenty fast enough for my uses so I gave up on wget2.

Comment

I wasn't aware wget was so heavy on CPU usage. What exactly makes it so high to warrant multithreading? Even on 100Mbps down, I always got the impression it was bottlenecked by the network, though I can't say I ever really paid close attention to CPU usage whenever I use it. I suppose if you're downloading something on a LAN, the CPU usage will spike. But at that point, why not just use some other local file transfer service?

To clarify - I'm not complaining they made it multithreaded, I'm just a bit surprised it demands so much.

Comment

Everything is being parallelized as chip designs get wider and slower.

Comment

I downloaded and compiled it to try it out. From what I can tell, it still doesn't have the ability to split up a large file into several download streams. I guess I'll keep using aria2c for that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    The feature list says it supports IPv6 https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2

Also modern wget supports IPv6.
                    The current wget's support for IPv6 is a hack. There are so many ways it does not work. I switched to using curl sometimes combined with socat (a 4 year old curl needs socat, because curl also had a tiny bug 4 years ago, but that's something I still need to use).
                    Too bad, because in every other way, wget was really user friendly. But the IPv4 was deeply in the code and commandline scanners. Even the busybox version of wget was ahead of the main wget in respect of IPv6.
                    Anyway, that was the case with many utilities. That's how I found socat: after hacking ipv6 support into utility n, I found socat and stopped doing things that socat already did correctly more than 4 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X