No announcement yet.

F2FS Is The Latest Linux File-System With Patches For Case-Insensitive Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like F2FS might become the new de facto file system, and replace EXT4.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      starshipeleven - i just had a play and I think just found one of the issues.

I copied an empty directory 'foo' made by one user into that setgid folder 'bar'. My empty dir, 'foo' had no group write permission set at the time I copied it. As another user I then tried to copy a random file into the 'bar' dir. That works as expected. I then tried to copy a random file into the 'foo' subdir: fails: permission denied.
      Yes I can reproduce this on Tumbleweed.

Looking at the umask, yes, the little shit is not giving the same umask to newer files/folders. So newer folders/files will NOT be group-writable by default, so even if it shows the right sgid it's pointless.

I guess this has to be set somehow in systemwide settings, or is this a filemanager-side thing? Files/folders created should be group-writable by default for sgid to be useful at all.

I quite frankly don't remember this being an issue last time I used this system, but it was admittedly a while back.

I just found another issue. I copied a file into the setgid dir as user A. As user B I then moved the file on user B's desktop. The file on the desktop now has the owner and group of user A.
      Kinda. I get permission denied when copying it. But on files where the right umask is set I can copy them over fine and it changes the owner/permissions.

Same cause as above.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 July 2019, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post

Have you considered Dropbox?

Good luck using it on Gnome though.
        Dropbox should go fuck themselves since they decided they support only ext4 filesystems on Linux, for no real reason.

I migrated to Mega when that happened, and their client is much better, although I'm on KDE 5.

Although his use case is of a single PC with a folder in the same drive. Dropbox would have one folder for each user, that's wasting a ton of space.
        Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 July 2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
          Looks like F2FS might become the new de facto file system, and replace EXT4.
          At least for SSDs and flash/NAND storage in general, yes.

For rotating storage (as long as cost/GB is still in its favour), ext4 is probably a better solution given it was developed on and for that medium. But who's to say where the state of the art in storage is in five years time?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Dropbox should go fuck themselves since they decided they support only ext4 filesystems on Linux, for no real reason.

I migrated to Mega when that happened, and their client is much better, although I'm on KDE 5.
            I'll be a wincing apologist for Dropbox. It's not like they dropped everything but Windows or Mac filesystems; only meme filesystems that the overwhelming majority of their users don't use anyway.

Unfortunately, nothing comes close to Dropbox in terms of convenience, AFAIK. I don't know how Mega does things. Having a local directory that's automatically mirrored with a little tray icon is amazing. (Since convenient tray icons are haram to Gnome, and since even the extensions that worked around that are broken now, you're forced to use either the CLI package or the regular package with the dropbox.py file you can download from Dropbox's site.)

I think there's one service that comes close and readily supports Linux, but I forgot the name. Was it pCloud? The difference was that, by default, things aren't mirrored locally and only downloaded explicitly (like how Dropbox works on mobile). I decided not to try it because if it ain't broke, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

For rotating storage (as long as cost/GB is still in its favour), ext4 is probably a better solution given it was developed on and for that medium. But who's to say where the state of the art in storage is in five years time?
              I hope against hope that spinning rust will die forever, soon. Affordable 10 TB SSDs when (probably not even in 5 years ¬ ¬)

Comment

starshipeleven - thanks for reproducing it. I wasn't 100% sure I'd done it right.

I do think the setgid feature is likely very useful and fine for technical users. I just opted for the mounted NTFS filesystem approach because it produced something fool-proof.

josh_walrath - thanks for the suggestion but I'm not a fan of cloud storage services for privacy reasons. I also don't like being dependent on my internet connection being up.

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

Prices of cheap TLC SSDs are plummeting every day, so I assume it won't take too long before that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
                    I do think the setgid feature is likely very useful and fine for technical users.
                    Don't insult my intelligence like that. "very useful and fine for technical users" my ass.

With the issues you pointed out, it's just broken, or requires more configuration than the basic one I did back then.

Comment

Originally posted by josh_walrath View Post
                      I'll be a wincing apologist for Dropbox. It's not like they dropped everything but Windows or Mac filesystems; only meme filesystems that the overwhelming majority of their users don't use anyway.
                      "meme filesystems", lol dude, if I wanted to let third parties dictate arbitrarily what I can or cannot use I would still be on Windows.

A cloud sync application should not dictate what filesystem I'm using when all it does is set up a daemon that asks the kernel to notify it of modified files, and ask the kernel to read and write stuff. The underlying filesystem is completely irrelevant to it, any claims that they are "supporting" a filesystem is arrogant bullshit. Dropbox isn't using any filesystem-specific feature, they have exactly 0 tickets because of filesystem issues (also because there is no way to send them tickets, but I digress).

I can understand throwing warnings if you use shit filesystems like FAT32 (like Mega does, and it does explain what issues it has when running on FAT32, but it is still just a warning).
                      Restricting supported filesystems to one per OS does not make sense, it just sets a stupid precedent, what's next, deciding that their shit sync application only works with specific kernel versions (for no reason at all, again)?

Sorry but that breaks the trust chain. I'm not trusting power-tripping idiots with keeping my data available, and a service running.

The moment I got the popup saying "unsupported filesystem" I started looking for alternatives.

Unfortunately, nothing comes close to Dropbox in terms of convenience, AFAIK. I don't know how Mega does things.
                      Having a local directory that's automatically mirrored with a little tray icon is amazing.
                      How in the fuck can you claim that "dropbox is better" if you also admit that you don't know Mega.

Mega does the same. on KDE anyway. They have a full GUI (and cli-capable) sync client for more or less every major distro, OpenSUSE and Arch included. I don't know about GNOME tray support (it probably does not work as GNOME has no tray anymore afaik)

Mega also allows you to mirror arbitrary folders to arbitrary folders in your cloud storage, which is what I use to keep the bin folder where I keep all my helper scripts synced between my PCs.

They also provide a blacklist so I can blacklist file names/types I don't want it to sync by wildcards.

They also provide integration plugins for dolphin, Nemo, Nautilus and Thunar so you can see the icons of sync status on your files (similar to what Dropbox does on Windows), and also get a referral link to a specific file by rightclicking.

I think there's one service that comes close and readily supports Linux, but I forgot the name.
                      It's Mega, and it's not "close", it's better.

Comment

Working...
                      X