Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking The Experimental Bcachefs File-System Against Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS & ZFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Experimental Bcachefs File-System Against Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS & ZFS

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Experimental Bcachefs File-System Against Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS & ZFS

With Bcachefs core development being done and the possibility of this file-system being mainlined soon, here are some fresh benchmarks of this file-system compared to Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS, and ZFS On Linux.

Nice work.
    I assume these test are started with a freshly formated partition ?
    Would be interesting to see how they would compare if you run the tests on a filesystems that is say 80% full.

Comment

I have really high hopes for this FS.
      Hopefully, it wont disappoint.

EDIT:
      Already solid results for an FS that's not even mainlained.
      With proper tuning, it has the potential to become one of the best performing FSes...
      Last edited by nomadewolf; 25 June 2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Here is also very excited about the project and a patreon. I hope it's really as close to merging quality and generally as clean / future proof as promised. Let's see what we have in about two years

Comment

I would like a bcachefs with cache drive vs btrfs+bcache vs ext4+bcache test.
          That is with hdd + ssd.

Comment

Very interesting overall, but I would love to see a re-run with storage tiers, as its one of the big advertised features. Would a re-run with an HDD + SSD, using ZIL for ZFS, tiers for BCFS, and a full drive bcache for XFS and EXT4 be feasible in the near future?

Comment

i would like to see a "fragmentation count" benchmark.
              still disappointed by btrfs with huge vm-disks - and the performance degrade after a while because of that

Comment

The logarithmic result overview (last chart on last page) is amazing!

Comment

Somehow related to the fscache.. Guess who's back: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/6/13/1892 ?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                    Somehow related to the fscache.. Guess who's back: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/6/13/1892 ?
                    finally, old Linus is back baby.(still a bit soft but an improvement nonetheless)

Comment

Working...
                    X