Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Benchmarking The Experimental Bcachefs File-System Against Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS & ZFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Experimental Bcachefs File-System Against Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS & ZFS

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Experimental Bcachefs File-System Against Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS & ZFS

With Bcachefs core development being done and the possibility of this file-system being mainlined soon, here are some fresh benchmarks of this file-system compared to Btrfs, EXT4, F2FS, XFS, and ZFS On Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice work.
    I assume these test are started with a freshly formated partition ?
    Would be interesting to see how they would compare if you run the tests on a filesystems that is say 80% full.

Comment

I have really high hopes for this FS.
      Hopefully, it wont disappoint.

EDIT:
      Already solid results for an FS that's not even mainlained.
      With proper tuning, it has the potential to become one of the best performing FSes...
      Last edited by nomadewolf; 25 June 2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Here is also very excited about the project and a patreon. I hope it's really as close to merging quality and generally as clean / future proof as promised. Let's see what we have in about two years

Comment

I would like a bcachefs with cache drive vs btrfs+bcache vs ext4+bcache test.
          That is with hdd + ssd.

Comment

Very interesting overall, but I would love to see a re-run with storage tiers, as its one of the big advertised features. Would a re-run with an HDD + SSD, using ZIL for ZFS, tiers for BCFS, and a full drive bcache for XFS and EXT4 be feasible in the near future?

Comment

i would like to see a "fragmentation count" benchmark.
              still disappointed by btrfs with huge vm-disks - and the performance degrade after a while because of that

Comment

The logarithmic result overview (last chart on last page) is amazing!

Comment

Somehow related to the fscache.. Guess who's back: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/6/13/1892 ?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
                    Somehow related to the fscache.. Guess who's back: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/6/13/1892 ?
                    finally, old Linus is back baby.(still a bit soft but an improvement nonetheless)

Comment

Working...
                    X