No announcement yet.

Reiser4 Brought To The Linux 5.0 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I’m a “social justice warrior” because I can’t fathom why they would continue to develop a half assed filesystem and continue to name it after it’s murdering creator. Yeah, you are a sociopath.

Comment

Originally posted by cmsigler View Post
      I think it should be mentioned that the erasure of people, as well as events, from history is a time-tested tool used by totalitarian states and dictators.
      All the more reason to remember the victim above all else.

Comment

I would just say, fork it, rename it to what ever you want and make the necessary changes it needs and be done. Isn't that what is so great about open source?

Comment

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
          offensive in what way?

you need to learn distinct between technical stuff and private life
          And you need to learn that, in this case, 'technical stuff' and 'private stuff' are both connected with an atrocious crime.
          Because the person in both cases are the same, and the problems were exactly what you call 'technical stuff'..

This is not an ordinary case,
          There are even television series about it,
          It was an 'atomic bomb' that was dropped in the OpenSource Community, previously known for the good values the community had..

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            It doesn't matter, because these still are only the motives of the murderer. We cannot allow him to have any further influence on history, either directly or indirectly. What matters is that she deserves to be remembered. As long as the file system is kept around the more important it becomes. As you can see do people still remember him, and they remember the crime, but who remembers her? And that's my point. When people then ask about the name NinaFS then people can tell her story and she gets to be remembered first and not him.
            Your point is good, indeed!

I think I agree in renaming it for NinaFS too..

Comment

Originally posted by cmsigler View Post
              I think it should be mentioned that the erasure of people, as well as events, from history is a time-tested tool used by totalitarian states and dictators.
              Well, its completely on contrary..
              Look what happens when athletes are using doping, like Lance Armstrong, and zillions of others out there?
              They are dropped from the books of history, medals attributed to the second positions and so on..
              When a big scandal happens in a company involving its owners , they step down, and in a lot of cases, company even change its name, depending of the crimes committed..sponsors go away, and so on..

But when some one do something atrocious, its worst..
              Does you remember were is the South African athlete guy that kill is girl friend,
              yeah Iscar Pistorius, he was erased from sport, dropped from events, sponsors, and so one...he his today worst than a "no one other animal out there"..erased completely!

And his crime was not saw, as so tragic has this one, ( if we can attribute levels of atrocious acts.. maybe not ).

To try to preserve values, that entities at least demonstrate,
              Companies, Communities, Events, Sponsors and so one, cut off that "animal beans" from history..

What is the company, or community, that wants to be associated with ReiserFS ..??

This is called a Civilised Society..

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post
                I would just say, fork it, rename it to what ever you want and make the necessary changes it needs and be done. Isn't that what is so great about open source?
                The people who get outraged by things in the open source community rarely do any actual programming.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

The people who get outraged by things in the open source community rarely do any actual programming.
                  Yup.
                  Any one of them could fork it tomorrow and call it "NinaFS" or whatever, but none of them will do squat.

Comment

Wow - Im surprised of how ignorant this community really is.

"The once promising file system [...]"

Once? Its one of the more modern approaches to innovative features and design written entirely from scratch.

And since many of you obviously dont know a whole lot of the key features it provides, let me summarize some of them for you and even prove the author as well as some of the people posting here wrong.

To date, Reiser4 is one of the few which support for inline crc32 checksumming through its (also quite unique) plugin design, with their 'node41' plugin which will only require 3 cpu cycles. This is one of the later plugins to be created for the FS and not many other FS besides ZFS have in common. There is also subvolumes support with mirroring and failover support recently introduced not to mention the added support for Zstd compression in addition to lzo and gzip. Compression is the only plugin that is enabled by default which the author never seems to understand when publishing bemchmarks vs other filesystems which do not have this enabled by default.

Also a very important features is the wandering logs-design which is way more efficient in *every* aspect vs either metadata or regular journaling. It has also taken the very much praised feature from XFS with it's allocate-on-flush support. Besides that it *is* in fact the only FS with a atomic transaction design in which the IOP entirely occur or entirely don't (btrfs comes to mind). Instead of using the B-tree design it uses the 'dancing tree' feature to balance the B*Tree which is undoubtedly a much smarter design than a regular B-tree design like btrfs uses.
                    In addition it also features Mount options (transaction models) to both suit HDD and SSD disks optimally. These include:

Write-Anywhere (SSD), Journaling (HDD) and a heuristic model called hybrid which alternates between the two for optimal performance on SSHD and HDD users. The bemchmarks posted here is using the defaults for all of the filesystems and WILL result in sub-optimal performance in synthetic bemchmarks because they all differ in their defaults.

Perhaps the most direct alternative is btrfs which does NOT enable compression by default while Reiser4 does.

What is also written which is just wrong is that multiple requests for inclusion has been done. What Edward Shishkin said about the topic was that without a corporation backing up financially for the people involved in the development, there is only so much a handful of people can do to get the system included in the mainline Linux-tree. Many others (like those of you that are suggesting a new name for a filesystem because of the person who initially started on its design is convicted of murder is in fact a solid piece of evidence for) are suggesting that the reasons for not being mainlined is in fact political reasons and not flaws or lack of innovation or other technical challenges which the author of the article implies when saying that the other filesystems is a step ahead of reiser4 when the obvious fact is that that is not the case *at all*. I have used reiser4 since 2012 on my laptop and not even once experienced dataloss or corruption. Google btrfs and read up on the fact that the percentage of users having issues with it although being mainlined is disturbingly high.

I hope the next bemchmarks will include results from the most equivalent of both plugins and Mount options to show how incredibly well the performance and features of Reiser4 in 2019 actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by petterk View Post
                      Wow - Im surprised of how ignorant this community really is.

"The once promising file system [...]"

Once? Its one of the more modern approaches to innovative features and design written entirely from scratch.

And since many of you obviously dont know a whole lot of the key features it provides, let me summarize some of them for you and even prove the author as well as some of the people posting here wrong.
                      You've told us nothing new. The reason it is considered "once promising" is its inability to get accepted into mainline. Very few users are going to go with out-of-tree file systems which don't seem to be getting consistent developer support. As great as reiser's features are, without mainline kernel support and consistent and up-to-date maintenance, very few users are going to bother with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X