Reiser4 Brought To The Linux 5.0 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
    It’s stupidly offensive. You said that knowing that it was.
    The name itself is not inherently offensive. I'm sure there are many fine, upstanding Reiser's in the world. His actions were monstrous. But, no need to cover over the cold hard realities of life by erasing names that remind us of the death that we all must face.

Comment

Hey why don't we go ahead and rename everything that had a name of someone that was terrible?

Because we'd never stop naming things. And it's really hypocritical to have no issues with Reiserfs but then say no to Reiser4 because of the name.

I thought accepting code was about good code and not the politics.

I wouldn't care if a filesystem was called LadenFS for Bin Laden. He's dead and gone.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
        It’s stupidly offensive. You said that knowing that it was.
        That's literally a guy's surname. Are you offended by people that are called "reiser"?

Here, a company called Reiser https://www.reiser.com/

And an actor called Paul Reiser https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001663/

We aren't talking of massive genocide on national scale, it's just a guy murdering another person (and being a massive asshole in general).
        His actions are FAR less than what is required to make his name tainted for future generations as for example "Adolf Hitler" or "Donald Trump".

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          ... it's just a guy murdering another person ... His actions are FAR less than ...
          Oh, I see how you're thinking. Can you give a number of murders at which it's no longer ok? Is it:

- More than a couple...
          - More than at a school shooting...
          - More than AIDS has killed...
          - More than Stalin...
          - More than Hitler.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            Oh, I see how you're thinking. Can you give a number of murders at which it's no longer ok?
            I said the lower level of murder in the very same post.

massive genocide on national scale

And note that this lower limit is dictated by practical limitations, not morals.

Anything less than that and you'd run out of names to give to new babies pretty quick, even by crafting craptastic mutated shit names like Kayleean or Robart which seem to be so trendy in the US.

I should not need to explain why.

Comment

Can you give a number of murders at which it's no longer ok?
              "OK" to what? To leave a software project's name alone? There are apps with the name "Timur" in them, and Timur killed about 17 million in the 1300's, which was 5% of the world's population at the time. Maybe you should start with him, and work your way down to guys that brutally murdered their wives.

Comment

I can tell there’s a few sociopaths here. The name is offensive. The original creator was a man who killed his wife. They need to change the name, for pr if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  "OK" to what?
                  That's what I'm asking starshipeleven. He might be trying to say that below a certain number of killings can murder can be respectable and that we should hold on to a murder's name.

For me personally is this completely new ground, but since we are living in the 21st century with millenials having taken over the world and me being of yesterday, why not ask him?

Comment

Oh, I see how you're thinking. Can you give a number of murders at which it's no longer ok? Is it:

- More than a couple...
                    - More than at a school shooting...
                    - More than AIDS has killed...
                    - More than Stalin...
                    - More than Hitler.
                    It's not like people put up a statue for him after being responsible for the death of 25000 mostly women and children:
                    Statue of Harris outside St. Clement Danes

Statue of Sir Arthur 'Bomber' Harris respnsible for bombing Dresden outside St. Clement Danes

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Why? What's wrong with keeping the historical name.
                      It's not offensive or anything.
                      Its more than offensive..
                      read this

After that, think twice..

Comment

Working...
                      X