Raspberry Pi Begins Rolling Out The Linux 4.19 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Allwinner doesn't really offer the kind of support RPi users expect. Does it run desktop Windows 10 like RPi?
    Do RPi users expect to run Windows desktop like total shit?
    Like 10 seconds of lag on key presses?
    https://www.tomshardware.com/news/wi...-on,38629.html

Because I'm sorry to inform you that those needing their daily frustration dose should look elsewhere.

Can you do IoT development from the browser or run Scratch?
    yes, they run Armbian which is basically the same as Raspbian
    Are those boards as capable as routers (pihole),
    Yes, as they have a NATIVE Ethernet port too and some also Sata port so they are better as server/NAS roles too.

media centers (OpenELEC / LibreELEC),
    Yes, Mpeg2 acceleration is usually provided. They are working on the driver to accelerate more stuff like x246 (which the raspi can't do as it has no hardware for that)

gaming consoles (RetroPie / Lakka) ?
    yes (with blob drivers for 3D I guess) https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/11...-4-0-released/

But still,one of the comments say
    "Not only this but at Lakka we use the mainline kernel 4.13.11 for these SOC’s now 🙂 vs the ancient 3.4.113 legacy kernel.
    Also being fully supported by the mainline kernel also gave the ability to Libreelec team to start working on a new project for allwinner socs as well.
    In our future plans is the inclusion of A64/H5 socs too like Pine64"

http://www.lakka.tv/get/linux/ look for Allwinner

this is retroorangepi project download page http://www.retrorangepi.org/download/

Do their kernels support RPi CEC and GPIO libraries?
    wtf is "RPi CEC", you mean HDMI CEC. Anyway yes

The only thing that is not opensource is the 3D accelerator (Mali), which is kind of less important in these devices, but now there is a driver under development for that.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      wtf is "RPi CEC", you mean HDMI CEC.
      HDMI CEC is quite crucial for HTPC so you can use the same remote for TV. Many boards don't support CEC. For example the ODROID C1 claimed to have support but they later had to upgrade it with C1+ to actually support CEC. RPi uses special binaries (not the kernel CEC) to actually support it. It shows up as pulse eight device in Kodi.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
        The Raspberry Pi was targeted for UK Schools to begin with.
        Vain effort. But that comes from personal experience. You saw Hackers? War Games? British teachers, professors and legislators are so senile that they think these movies were documentaries and therefore learning anything outside of Excel is knowledge too dangerous for anyone to possess.
        Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        What is an "underdeveloped" country?
        Something that the UK is and doesn't want to admit it is

Comment

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
          Vague References Do Not Make It So.
          @ #5--

"...Pi 4 is said to be very different to 1/2/3,.."

Really? "...said..." ? By whom? And where and when?

Please provide ANY and ALL details as to where you have gotten ANY credible details on this mythical device, which a lot of people like to reference as if it were fact, a fait accompli.

Vague references and wishful thinking do not make it so. Give us hard facts, please.

Eben Upton interview this month by Tom's Hardware is the most recent I'm aware of.

TLDR;
          No release in 2019, name is Pi 4, smaller than 40nm die size, same $35 cost and form factor, maybe USB-C.

Comment

Originally posted by jwh7 View Post
            Aarch64 on Linux doesn't have the memory usage increase as with Windows x64 memory addressing...
            Reference: "64-bit ARM (Aarch64) Instructions Boost Performance by 15 to 30% Compared to 32-bit ARM (Aarch32) Instructions"
            To bemore exact, not even Linux x86_64 has that memory usage increase.

The RAM wastage on 64bit is caused by Window's 32bit emulation subsystem, it's not a hardware issue.

Comment

HDMI CEC is quite crucial for HTPC so you can use the same remote for TV. Many boards don't support CEC.
              Sunxi has CEC kernel driver support and afaik it's either upstreamed or they are in the process of doing so.

I was just reacting to "RPi CEC". Is that the name for their "special binaries" they use to support it in their shitty downstream fork?

Comment

Originally posted by rmoog View Post
                Vain effort. But that comes from personal experience. You saw Hackers? War Games? British teachers, professors and legislators are so senile that they think these movies were documentaries and therefore learning anything outside of Excel is knowledge too dangerous for anyone to possess.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  I was just reacting to "RPi CEC". Is that the name for their "special binaries" they use to support it in their shitty downstream fork?
                  I think it's a userspace library and located in /opt in the machines I use.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak42 View Post

Eben Upton interview this month by Tom's Hardware is the most recent I'm aware of.

TLDR;
                    No release in 2019, name is Pi 4, smaller than 40nm die size, same $35 cost and form factor, maybe USB-C.
                    I'm really hoping this Pi 4 will bring something new to the table. The competitors have pretty boring incremental improvements. So far I've seen
                    - 4 gb of ram
                    - 64 gb of integrated flash
                    - dual real gigabit ethernet
                    - dual 4k hdmi
                    - 4 usb ports and no shared bandwidth
                    - usb3
                    - mpci-e
                    - sata
                    - double the amount of gpio pins
                    - 12v input

Comment

I'm really hoping this Pi 4 will bring something new to the table. The competitors have pretty boring incremental improvements. So far I've seen
                      - 4 gb of ram
                      - 64 gb of integrated flash
                      - dual real gigabit ethernet
                      - dual 4k hdmi
                      - 4 usb ports and no shared bandwidth
                      - usb3
                      - mpci-e
                      - sata
                      - double the amount of gpio pins
                      - 12v input
                      Hopefully USB-C (>12 V hopefully) + 802.3 PoE for power options. But uh... I think you're going to be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                      X