Btrfs Restoring Support For Swap Files With Linux 4.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Personally, with ZFS being as good as it is, I just don't see the point of BTRFS outside of not having to worry about the kernel/module upgrade annoyances ZFS brings...I'd rather deal with those annoyances than a not-as-good file system.
    but btrfs is better than zfs. zfs is obsolete even if it were intree. i have no use for fs which is unable to change its size

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
      A more recent article pointed out the corruption was caused by BLK-MQ, outside the ext4 driver
      ok, that makes ext4 users who lost their data much happier

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I am a moron. I rather not deal with swap partitions. I don't want any extra partitions. I rather just not even think about swap.
        The last thing I wanna do is trying to figure out how many gigabytes my swap partition should be, if it should be before or after my system partition, if it matters if its a HDD or SSD, etc.
        well, you shouldn't even bring swap subject to discussion then. installer created partitions for you, including swap

Comment

IMHO, the benefits of ZFS outweigh the negative aspects. Besides, ZFS on Linux should only get better and gain more performance as they creep towards the 1.0 release.
          you've listed zero benefits (there is nothing in your list which is unavailable on btrfs, except you'll have to use full disk/partition encryption for now)
          and btrfs is also only getting better and gaining more performance

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            I do use it on my Linux servers and it works VERY well. So far my experience has been way better than btrfs.
            there are enterprise linux distros which default to btrfs, so you can leave your anecdotal evidence under the blanket

Comment

It wasn't ext4 fault.
              not having redundancy and checksums was ext4 fault

Comment

Its development is still way faster than btrfs'.
                its development has zero speed, as can be seen in kernel commit log

Comment

The ZFS wiki recommends using NOOP
                  so instead of worrying about schedulers you've chosen to worry about wikis of some out of tree unsupported crap?
                  Last edited by pal666; 15 December 2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

pal666 , some false facts and half-truths from you.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    there are enterprise linux distros which default to btrfs, so you can leave your anecdotal evidence under the blanket
                    No, there is actually only a single one, Suse. There used to be Red Hat too, but they removed support for btrfs after "trying it out" and seeing it still has a lot of issues. And even on Suse, while btrfs is the default for the root volume, they recommend MD RAID instead of BTRFS for raid configurations. So much for enterprise-readiness.

Originally posted by pal666
                    its development has zero speed, as can be seen in kernel commit log
                    Of course, because ZFS is being developed outside of the kernel tree. So the kernel commit log has little bearing on the matter. ZFS-on-Linux is being actively maintained and developed, if you know where to look.

Comment

Has anyone benchmarked regular swapfile vs. swap on loopback-mounted file? I figure filesystem compression might offset some of the overhead associated with loopback, that'd be interesting to see.

Comment

Working...
                      X