Btrfs Restoring Support For Swap Files With Linux 4.21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    That's plain bs, zypper or Yast's graphical package manager asks the user how to solve package conflicts and issues, and you can EASILY have it keep old dependencies or ignore new package dependencies (to the contrary of apt in Debian where if there are package conflicts or overwriting things you ALWAYS need to go and manually invoke dpkg with arcane rituals to force shit).
    And I'd say, interface of the Yast is vastly superior to whatever debian and/or ubuntu have ever cooked up..

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      moron, you missed phoronix coverage of recent ext4 corruption?
      Yes, I believe I did.

it always supported swap. swap partition that is. it didn't support swapfiles, but apperently nobody uses them. and it always supported online resize, so you can easily change size of your swap partition without reboots (try that with ext4)
      I am a moron. I rather not deal with swap partitions. I don't want any extra partitions. I rather just not even think about swap.
      The last thing I wanna do is trying to figure out how many gigabytes my swap partition should be, if it should be before or after my system partition, if it matters if its a HDD or SSD, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.
        I just assumed swap on file was a basic functionality to expected on all file systems. Seeing as it taken 9 years, I started questioning the whole file system.
        Why would you assume anything about something you obviously don't know much about? Unfortunately, this seems to be the general attitude in discussion boards these days. It's not like someone's been working 9 years on swap support either, the details can be found if you actually bothered to read the article and dig into the commits.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          The tumbleweed installer do not give you any graphical package managers during install. Then installed OS is simply broken. The Debian installer solves dependencies during install automatically.
          "simply broken" how? Couldn't you just run zypper again in the installed OS?

I can believe that something can break on Tumbleweed because packages were updated in the repo while you were installing (this happens also in Debian Testing at times, a lot on Sid/Unstable branch of course), but not even reaching terminal login is kind of rare.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Oh and by the way, requiring 32Gb or more just for the filesystem to operate properly is beyond ridiculous.
            It only needs a lot of ram when you use deduplication, outside of that it can be tuned to run on a minimal ram system and only eat up ram as necessary (though I personally wouldn't use it on a system with less than 4GB, I have, and would prefer to start at 8GB and just not have to worry about ZFS eating up 4GB of ram...it allocates half the system ram to itself by default unless you tune it otherwise). Dedup uses about 1GB per TB of deduplicated data...or for a few hundred mb of ram I can snapshot my entire root volume which is all I really care to use dedup for.

I've ran Arch with a ZFS root on a system with 3GB of ram before (when setting up my current PC & waiting on ram to arrive in the mail). It ran just fine with a 320GB mirror and a 2TB data drive with my Steam games mounted. Yes, 3GB -- it's a triple channel system and it came with 3 1GB sticks.

The real ram complaint is the recommendation to use registered ECC ram. ZFS started as an enterprise grade file system and still has some of those requirements.

I still like being able to compress /etc and document directories with gzip9; lz4 for binary directories, I can grow and shrink swap as necessary (never had to, but I can), I can have system wide snapshots, file system based encryption (no encryption layers, yay), I don't have to worry about disk schedulers because the answer is always NOOP with ZFS, there are file system based mirrors and raid options, it has logging and cache drive support to increase performance (Windows/NTFS somewhat does that too)...IMHO, the benefits of ZFS outweigh the negative aspects. Besides, ZFS on Linux should only get better and gain more performance as they creep towards the 1.0 release.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              "simply broken" how? Couldn't you just run zypper again in the installed OS?

I can believe that something can break on Tumbleweed because packages were updated in the repo while you were installing (this happens also in Debian Testing at times, a lot on Sid/Unstable branch of course), but not even reaching terminal login is kind of rare.
              I installed Suse Leap for the first time ever about a month ago. During the OS install the repositories were updated and 75% in to the install it just errored out since it was trying to download older versions of stuff that had just been updated. The installer canceled out, I rebooted back into the live environment, started over, and it installed just fine from there. Based on my experience, I don't see how the installer finished if the repos were updated mid OS install.

One thing I'll say is had I not been a Linux geek who experienced that before, that would have been one hell of a turn off to Suse. I want to like Suse since they're one of the few KDE centric distributions, but the software in Leap was just too old and I'd rather use Manjaro or Antergos over Tumbleweed when it comes to rolling release.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I installed Suse Leap for the first time ever about a month ago. During the OS install the repositories were updated and 75% in to the install it just errored out since it was trying to download older versions of stuff that had just been updated. The installer canceled out, I rebooted back into the live environment, started over, and it installed just fine from there. Based on my experience, I don't see how the installer finished if the repos were updated mid OS install.
                Me neither.

I did have some Ubuntu-based distros blow up like that and leave a text-only install so I can't say it's impossible

Antergos over Tumbleweed when it comes to rolling release.
                Antergos is indeed interesting and I'm keeping an eye on it to see if it's eventually worth to jump ship from Tumbleweed. It's already much better than it was a year ago as far as integration and user-friendlyness.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 13 December 2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
                  note that other raid implementations such as mdraid do suffer from the write hole as well
                  Not true at all, they fixed it two years ago.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

on linux yes it is
                    I do use it on my Linux servers and it works VERY well. So far my experience has been way better than btrfs.
                    ## VGA ##

Comment

moron, you missed phoronix coverage of recent ext4 corruption?
                      It wasn't ext4 fault.
                      ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                      X