Wine-Staging 3.13.1 Released To Fix StarCraft 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
    I don't get this battle.net crash anymore, cool, this bug must have been there for years. Would be great now, if Diablo 3 runs in 64bit mode and DX11, then I could use DXVK :-)
    Which battle.net crash is this about? The helpers tend to crash, but I haven't experienced battle.net crashes with the main launcher for a long time (over a year I think).

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

They can, they just don't want to.
      maybe they are paid for not like adobe, or maybe they are waiting for snaps become better

Comment

Originally posted by Flaburgan View Post

Personally, the only steam game I play which is not GNU/Linux compatible is Age Of Empires II. I went the easy way and installed steam twice on my machine, once natively with the deb package, and there all my games are installed and that's the one I mainly use, and another one with wine for running AoE. That's the way to go as it both shows you use Linux and is way easier to run steam without wine (which often have regressions).

As for the way steam is recording usage of wine well, I have no idea if they note that it's not a real windows or not.
        Have you tried 0 A.D.? https://play0ad.com/

It's very similar to Age of Empires II in many ways. I think it even started out as an AoE II mod, before they eventually decided to build their own engine.

It's a really beautifully crafted game and very complete. It runs natively on GNU/Linux. It has a few rough edges and missing features and you need a fast PC to run it, but otherwise it's in very good shape and is very playable.

Comment

I've been Playing Starcraft 2 on wine-staging. I don't care about the missing audio in 3.13.0. What I do care about is that late game FPS in big battles drops to some fraction of 1, and the stuttering is so bad I can't tell what's going on on screen. Kernel 4.15, Mesa 18.1.5, RX-480, and an (admittedly slow) AMD FX-8320. All graphics options on lowest, 1920x1080.

My wife's old desktop has an AMD A10-6700 APU and Windows 10, and it runs the game at never less than 15 fps on medium graphics settings on 1920x1080. But my kids use that one to play multiplayer SC2 with me, so that's not an option.

Of course the best option would be for me to tell Blizzard to f-off and skip the whole thing. But this is just about the only PC I still play. Someone on these forums recommended Lutris for the best possible Wine/SC2 gaming experience. Has anyone else tried that? Did it make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
            I've been Playing Starcraft 2 on wine-staging. I don't care about the missing audio in 3.13.0. What I do care about is that late game FPS in big battles drops to some fraction of 1, and the stuttering is so bad I can't tell what's going on on screen. Kernel 4.15, Mesa 18.1.5, RX-480, and an (admittedly slow) AMD FX-8320. All graphics options on lowest, 1920x1080.

My wife's old desktop has an AMD A10-6700 APU and Windows 10, and it runs the game at never less than 15 fps on medium graphics settings on 1920x1080. But my kids use that one to play multiplayer SC2 with me, so that's not an option.

Of course the best option would be for me to tell Blizzard to f-off and skip the whole thing. But this is just about the only PC I still play. Someone on these forums recommended Lutris for the best possible Wine/SC2 gaming experience. Has anyone else tried that? Did it make a difference?
            You got a recent AMD card. So why are you not using Gallium Nine when playing DX9 games like Starcraft 2?
            It achieves absolutely amazing results (~90% of native Windows performance) on Wine, so you should be using that.

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post

You got a recent AMD card. So why are you not using Gallium Nine when playing DX9 games like Starcraft 2?
              It achieves absolutely amazing results (~90% of native Windows performance) on Wine, so you should be using that.
              I'll try that and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by x4mer View Post
                If I'm using WINE and Windows version of Steam, am I correct to assume that all VAC games are off limits due to redirection by WINE on the host?
                Yes wine gets counted as linux, basically what amounts to "other" Valve tracks linux usage by distro, so Ubuntu, fedora, Suse, etc.. Because is not itself a distro it gets counted among other things in a subcategory.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                  A few months ago we were saying goodbye to the wine-staging guys wishing them well and preparing to cope without their contributions to WINE. Now the WINE guys are running a little behind and the staging folks are standing up to fix a regressions. Kudos to both teams, thanks again to the people who took over staging and and always big atta-boys for the WINE people.

Regressions, delayed code ports, it's all still better than having to deal with Windows 10.
                  Well, only Alexandre is in vacation (the lead maintainer and the guy who commits everything) as far as I'm aware. So when he'll be back, a lot of patches will be committed (hopefully not rejected).

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

Have you tried 0 A.D.? https://play0ad.com/

It's very similar to Age of Empires II in many ways. I think it even started out as an AoE II mod, before they eventually decided to build their own engine.

It's a really beautifully crafted game and very complete. It runs natively on GNU/Linux. It has a few rough edges and missing features and you need a fast PC to run it, but otherwise it's in very good shape and is very playable.
                    I know about 0 A.D. and like it. But when something got you heart eh, you can't do anything :P AoE is the only closed source software I run.

Comment

Originally posted by Degra View Post

My hero! (Or heroine, whatever.)

It was a bit of a pain to install. The steps which worked:
                      1. Remove the standard wine-staging PPA package from my machine.
                      2. Install the PPAs for Gallium Nine and Wine with direct3d. Then install the packages from those PPAs and restart X. Well, I rebooted but I think a restart of X would have been enough.
                      3. (I missed this one for a while, and it would cause the game to hang) Remove any DLL overrides you had in winecfg.
                      4. Enable Gallium Nine in winecfg.

I played a map where end-of-game FPS usually dropped down to being displayed as 1-2 and the game would hang for seconds at a time. Now end-of-game FPS was in the 30s. Problem solved. Thank you!

Next I'll try again but with the graphics settings at something above "lowest everywhere". The SC2 graphics config dialog suggests "Ultra" for everything, but of course that's assuming Windows drivers. I'll start walking it up to see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X