No announcement yet.

A Look At Some Of The Clear Linux Performance Changes For June 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also tried to install ClearLinux several times. On bare metal and in VirtualBox but failed. I also don't like how they are forcing UEFI for installing the distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
      I also tried to install ClearLinux several times. On bare metal and in VirtualBox but failed. I also don't like how they are forcing UEFI for installing the distribution.
      My Intel based laptop supports UEFI, and I tried setting VBox config to EFI to boot the install ISO under VM. Neither option worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I do often test Clear on AMD CPUs in various Phoronix articles and it generally still shows Clear leading other distros there too.
        How is it possible? 'Cause recently, someone else on the forums kept trying to convince that the Clear Linux Team doesn't optimize Clear for AMD CPU's other than making it work. So how come they still lead on AMD CPU's?

Comment

Btw, arjan_intel Recently you said that it was no trouble for you guys to add packages/desktop environments. But where I do make requests?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            Btw, arjan_intel Recently you said that it was no trouble for you guys to add packages/desktop environments. But where I do make requests?
            filing a github issue at https://github.com/clearlinux/distribution works
            asking on IRC also often works

if you have an URL for what you ask for that helps, but we can also find those ourselves
            (just sometimes name collisions happen ;-) )

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

How is it possible? 'Cause recently, someone else on the forums kept trying to convince that the Clear Linux Team doesn't optimize Clear for AMD CPU's other than making it work. So how come they still lead on AMD CPU's?
              Because modern AMD CPUs utilize AVX, etc, that Clear Linux leverages but not many other Linux distributions make use of FMV, etc for delivering AVX-optimized code paths when running on supported CPUs... Or with general improvements around LTO, etc that do not happen to be CPU microarchitecture specific but another area not largely relied upon by most Linux distributions.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

filing a github issue at https://github.com/clearlinux/distribution works
                asking on IRC also often works

if you have an URL for what you ask for that helps, but we can also find those ourselves
                (just sometimes name collisions happen ;-) )
                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X