Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Look At Some Of The Clear Linux Performance Changes For June 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Look At Some Of The Clear Linux Performance Changes For June 2018

    Phoronix: A Look At Some Of The Clear Linux Performance Changes For June 2018

    Given Clear Linux is a "rolling release" Linux distribution with new releases often being put out multiple times per day, and a lot of the emphasis by Intel on their open-source Linux distribution being performance, I decided it would be fun to start providing a monthly look at how their performance has been evolving...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...inux-June-2018

  • #2
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: A Look At Some Of The Clear Linux Performance Changes For June 2018

    Given Clear Linux is a "rolling release" Linux distribution with new releases often being put out multiple times per day, and a lot of the emphasis by Intel on their open-source Linux distribution being performance, I decided it would be fun to start providing a monthly look at how their performance has been evolving...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...inux-June-2018
    Given the default (and reasonable) Intel emphasis it would also be interesting to see how Clear Linux performs on AMD cpus.

    Yes, I'm an AMD Threadripper 1950X owner.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sabriah View Post

      Given the default (and reasonable) Intel emphasis it would also be interesting to see how Clear Linux performs on AMD cpus.

      Yes, I'm an AMD Threadripper 1950X owner.
      I do often test Clear on AMD CPUs in various Phoronix articles and it generally still shows Clear leading other distros there too.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        I have attempted to install this distro many times since reading about it on here, but have never been successful. It starts booting the installer, and ends up in a kernel panic and halts. It never even makes it to starting the install process. I thought it was maybe a bug in a release so I've tried 3 different releases over the last month, with the same error on all.

        I've tried it on AMD and Intel HW, tried writing to different USB keys, tried 4 or 5 different utilities to make the bootable USB using both Linux and Windows - all failed the same way. I even tried skipping out the writing and just mounting the iso (all 3 releases) downloaded from Clear into Virtualbox 5.2.12, and still had the same problem.

        I've never had a problem using another distro iso either in VBox or bootable USB. Anybody else having problems getting this distro going, or better yet had the problem and found the fix?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by x4mer View Post
          I have attempted to install this distro many times since reading about it on here, but have never been successful. It starts booting the installer, and ends up in a kernel panic and halts. It never even makes it to starting the install process. I thought it was maybe a bug in a release so I've tried 3 different releases over the last month, with the same error on all.

          I've tried it on AMD and Intel HW, tried writing to different USB keys, tried 4 or 5 different utilities to make the bootable USB using both Linux and Windows - all failed the same way. I even tried skipping out the writing and just mounting the iso (all 3 releases) downloaded from Clear into Virtualbox 5.2.12, and still had the same problem.

          I've never had a problem using another distro iso either in VBox or bootable USB. Anybody else having problems getting this distro going, or better yet had the problem and found the fix?
          I personally don't recall seeing a kernel panic from the Clear installer booting in like a year or so... Do you happen to have the output of the panic? arjan_intel probably could provide you some guidance if you had the output and hardware information.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Michael View Post

            I do often test Clear on AMD CPUs in various Phoronix articles and it generally still shows Clear leading other distros there too.
            I know and I appreciate that!

            What I was interest in was if Clear Linux had the same or similar rate of improvements on AMD as on Intel.

            Last time I saw the figures they were very respectable on AMD hardware, too. But, things could have changed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Anyone knows where can I get an exhaustive list of the optimizations used on Clear Linux, kernel-wise, compiler-wise and in userland(if it applies) ? (yeah I know I could have research a bit more before asking for this, and I already feel bad about it, but if there's anyone here who already know where can I look it up, I'd appreciate it a lot).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post

                I personally don't recall seeing a kernel panic from the Clear installer booting in like a year or so... Do you happen to have the output of the panic? arjan_intel probably could provide you some guidance if you had the output and hardware information.
                This is a screen grab of the crash. It's with the 23340 Clear Linux ISO mounted in VBox 5.2.12 as the optical drive, and booting from it to install. The previous two releases crash in the same manner, on metal or VBox. The codes are likely different, but the final line about kernel and init is always the same

                Comment


                • #9
                  I ran into these crashes as well. The clearlinux folks on IRC are super responsive and pointed out that ISOs are not meant to be flashed to usb. You should try the *-installer.img.xz files.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by deepankar View Post
                    I ran into these crashes as well. The clearlinux folks on IRC are super responsive and pointed out that ISOs are not meant to be flashed to usb. You should try the *-installer.img.xz files.
                    Thanks for the feedback. I would try burning to cdrw then, but since mounting the iso in VBox without writing it out also fails, it can't have anything to do with the write process to USB. I grabbed an img release as well figuring I would dd it to USB to see if it made a difference, but once it decompressed to 5G, I stopped since I use 2G keys for booting images.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X