Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Naib View Post
    use icedtea6 ffs then
    there has been (sun) open-source JAVA for ages and it has built on amd64 for ages as well
    Been there tried that, I'm not using a fugly software

gnu java in 8.10 looks ok-ish, except one flaw, left-click fails to work.

Comment

No gmail crashes, or any other problems here.

I purged the flashplayer and nspluginwrapper packages and then replaced the ~/.mozilla/plugins flashplayer.so with the one in the package.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
        Been there tried that, I'm not using a fugly software
        fugly? IcedTea is essentialy OpenJDK, except it replaces some unfree parts with parts of the GNU Classpath and allows you to build Java purely with FOSS-software.
        I have no idea what reason there could be not to like IcedTea.
        Last edited by Zhick; 17 November 2008, 06:43 PM.

Comment

There is little point for a 64-bit Windows build at this point - the only release-level x64 browser is AFAIK IE, and anyone who has the technical knowledge to care about 64-bit would be unlikely to use such a monstrosity.
          There are unofficial builds for Firefox 3.1, but these are still just trunk builds, and they're not core Mozilla stuff either.
          No x64 Opera, Safari, or Chrome; even Konqueror is only x86! (Though Konqi and Opera at least run in 64-bit on Linux, so they have decent potential).

64-bit Windows flash is not required, but it might be the catalyst to get some 64-bit browsers released.

What's the Mac situation? I read that with Snow Leopard, Apple want to move to a completey x64 environment... do you reckon Apple has a whip above Adobe's backside?

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
            yeah, but not without plenty of bugs though. I heard horror stories of 64bit drivers crashing though.

Might try 64bit Vista to gauge its stability
            I've been using Vista x64 and Windows Server 2008 x64 ... no glitches here except for older hardware like my workhorse printer, but I don't blame HP since it has been 8 years since it was last updated with newer drivers.

Other than that, x64 for Windows is a lot better than Windows XP x64, now that was horrible (but I still use it in a VirtualBox, just because I still have a license lying around)

As for Flash Player 10 on 64-bit, about time ... now to get IcedTea fully working 'cuz the goddamn plugin doesn't work on Facebook ... grrr!

deltatux

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
              fugly? IcedTea is essentialy OpenJDK, except it replaces some unfree parts with parts of the GNU Classpath and allows you to build Java purely with FOSS-software.
              I have no idea what reason there could be not to like IcedTea.
              It seems it uses the Motif style (if I recall correctly) or something like that. All widgets look just horrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Akdor 1154 View Post
                There is little point for a 64-bit Windows build at this point - the only release-level x64 browser is AFAIK IE, and anyone who has the technical knowledge to care about 64-bit would be unlikely to use such a monstrosity.
                There are unofficial builds for Firefox 3.1, but these are still just trunk builds, and they're not core Mozilla stuff either.
                No x64 Opera, Safari, or Chrome; even Konqueror is only x86! (Though Konqi and Opera at least run in 64-bit on Linux, so they have decent potential).

64-bit Windows flash is not required, but it might be the catalyst to get some 64-bit browsers released.

What's the Mac situation? I read that with Snow Leopard, Apple want to move to a completey x64 environment... do you reckon Apple has a whip above Adobe's backside?

Umm there is 64-bit versions of opera and konq. Not sure where you got the idea that there wasn't.

EDIT: Just realized you were talking about no windows 64-bit versions. My apologies.
                Last edited by deanjo; 17 November 2008, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I tried the new version (it's already in Gentoo's "repository", but masked). Works nice. I uninstalled nspluginwrapper.

Since I'm using OSS4 and not ALSA, sound was not working. This is fixed easily by rebuilding libflashsupport as 64-bit instead of the default 32-bit:

Code:
                  cd /usr/lib/oss/lib
                  sudo gcc -shared -fPIC -march=native -O2 flashsupport.c -o libflashsupport.so

Comment

There's also news about ARM and other companies that makes ARM-based platforms joined to make a Flash 10 for ARM platforms...

Der Flash Player 10 soll laut Adobe schon bald auf mobilen Endgeräten laufen. Dafür will man zusammen mit dem Chiphersteller ARM sorgen. Die Software soll so angepasst werden, dass sie problemlos auf den ARM-Prozessoren läuft.

Comment

I think adobe thought that most of us linux users still use Pentium III and below.
                      Anyway, the next step is to optimise adobe flash 32bit plugin for i686 instead of i386.

Comment

Working...
                      X