Solus 4 Is Working On Restoring Wayland Support, NVIDIA Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there something wrong with it?

Ikey afaik using a laptop based on Nvidia ( Gtx 1050 to be specific , like mine ) and it is pretty normal that he wants to use Wayland on his Nvidia system.

For people who are complaining , look at the Steam Survey. Most of the people using Nvidia cards and that's not gonna change anytime soon.

You simply want Nvidia users to left behind but these people are majority.

Comment

Originally posted by Leopard View Post
      Is there something wrong with it?
      Technically speaking, the more DEs use NVIDIA's pet EGLStreams thingy, the less incentive they will have to actually adhere to the standards everyone else is following. Which means that every other project that wants to add support for NVIDIA must allocate their own resources that could be better spent elsewhere. There are already 2 DE projects that stated officially they won't (KDE and i3), and probably MATE, XFCE and someone else too won't too as they barely get by even as-is.

Although in the grand scheme of things Solus/Budgie is pretty much irrelevant, so really, whatever they do is fine in practice. Assuming they can pull that off without sacrificing other more important stuff.

What really mattered was GNOME as it is a major DE. Now that they have EGLStreams (because RedHat's deep pockets), NVIDIA can simply not give a fuck and keep using EGLStreams, basically limiting the choice of DEs for Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Technically speaking, the more DEs use NVIDIA's pet EGLStreams thingy, the less incentive they will have to actually adhere to the standards everyone else is following. Which means that every other project that wants to add support for NVIDIA must allocate their own resources that could be better spent elsewhere. There are already 2 DE projects that stated officially they won't (KDE and i3), and probably MATE, XFCE and someone else too won't too as they barely get by even as-is.

Although in the grand scheme of things Solus/Budgie is pretty much irrelevant, so really, whatever they do is fine in practice. Assuming they can pull that off without sacrificing other more important stuff.

What really mattered was GNOME as it is a major DE. Now that they have EGLStreams (because RedHat's deep pockets), NVIDIA can simply not give a fuck and keep using EGLStreams, basically limiting the choice of DEs for Wayland.
        Apparently, that's not what's going on at all. Nvidia has been working towards a common solution, but it required quite a bit of (non-user visible) scaffolding first: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...#comment-74234

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          Apparently, that's not what's going on at all. Nvidia has been working towards a common solution, but it required quite a bit of (non-user visible) scaffolding first: https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/bl...#comment-74234
          Good to know, thanks.

Still does not make them good, but if they pull this off they can be "slightly less evil" in my book.

Since you seem to be more informed, do you know if with Wayland they can do without the dependency on display manager (as currently with xorg changes they need to adjust their driver)? That would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Good to know, thanks.

Still does not make them good, but if they pull this off they can be "slightly less evil" in my book.

Since you seem to be more informed, do you know if with Wayland they can do without the dependency on display manager (as currently with xorg changes they need to adjust their driver)? That would be nice.
            I can't answer that, but seeing as this one feature requires support in the driver, I would assume many others do, too.

Edit: Actually, a little digging led me to this: https://wayland.freedesktop.org/architecture.html
            From an architectural point of view, it seems Wayland simply merges the server and compositor in Xorg. Driver interaction does not seem to be changed at all.
            Last edited by bug77; 11-01-2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Solus 4 Is Working On Restoring Wayland Support, NVIDIA Improvements

The Solus Linux distribution project has shared some of the work they are currently pursuing for their Solus 4 operating system update...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...yland-And-More
              Good job guys. I'm gonna have to give Solus a try.. been running mostly Fedora. But can you get Huang at NVidia to open up his sphincter a bit more?
              Last edited by MartinN; 11-03-2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X