Solus 4 Is Working On Restoring Wayland Support, NVIDIA Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

You do know that worlds highest tax rates are in the EU. EU is harmonising VAT too. Ask from mr google if you do not believe.
    We Brazilians strongly disagree with you or Google.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Interrupting the scheduled flaming (because we all know NVIDIA is evil) for an important request.

ikey_solus could you please have a look and fix this issue? https://dev.solus-project.com/T4297 people not in the US (not using a US keyboard) will be extremely grateful.
      Eh, I feel that's not easily fixable. The keyboard layout is a user preference. Whose user preference should be used while on the login screen (i.e. user is not logged in yet)?
      Qt is annoying like that, too, in that it always displays things in a language of its choosing on the login screen.

(If you're German, just write your password using ae, oe, ss... Problem solved. )

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        So they're capitulating to Nvidia's tyranny and screwing over those who are, quite rightly, taking a stand against EGLStreams.

GREAT JOB GUYS!

I, for one, welcome our new closed-source overlords.
        The only one "taking a stand" is Martin, the KWin developer. And most recently he's said he'll accept EGL Streams patches if they come from NVIDIA.
        GNOME already supports it, Fedora has the patches and so do other distributions. You might believe you're seeing people take a stand because of
        randomly cross-posted mailing lists, but I can assure you the reality is very different. Fact of the matter is we're one of the only ones left who now doesn't
        support EGL Streams, so we're ensuring consistency across distros.

Do note that there is no NVIDIA support for XWayland, which severely limits the usability of Wayland (well, further.) Many of our users are actually gamers
        and most rely on "heavyweight" applications that are X11 specific, so many of them won't end up using Wayland. But - the option is there, and it allows me
        to also start working on more aspects of Budgie 11 (which will need to support Wayland.)

I've no intention of making Wayland the default any time soon, however. Plain and simple it just is not ready for real world usage. I'm just ensuring we're ready
        for the time when it *is*.

Comment

You do know that worlds highest tax rates are in the EU. EU is harmonising VAT too. Ask from mr google if you do not believe.
          The world's highest and amongst the world lowest. The EU is talking about harmonizing the corporate tax (which is sorely needed), not the VAT.

Comment

National hymn of Euro freaks:
            You do know you're making a fool of yourself here?

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post

You do know you're making a fool of yourself here?
              You do know you're talking to debianxfce here?

Just be thankful he's not telling us again that we should all be using debian testing with a custom 1000Hz kernel, xfce and wicd. He's been so annoying in the past, his new ramblings are actually a breath of fresh air to me.

Comment

You mean expensive intel cpus with almost no cores and nvidia gpus with the nouveau driver. Winteln believer, calculate how much your religion new desktop pc costs with fullhd 24" monitor, illuminated gaming keyboard and mouse ,12 cpu threads, 256GB ssd, 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz ram,dvdrw and the following gpu specs:
                Shading Units: 1024
                TMUs: 64
                ROPs: 16
                Compute Units: 16
                Pixel Rate: 20.40 GPixel/s
                Texture Rate: 81.60 GTexel/s
                Floating-point performance: 2,611 GFLOPS

Mine did cost 770 euros, a brand new complete desktop gaming/sw devel pc. This in Euro Union ( ) where taxes are high. Without taxes 585 euros.
                See, even spending this much money we can't even afford 16GB RAM.
                Bad time to buy a PC. Would you run Gnome 3 and Chrome, you'd nearly fill the 8 gigs up right there.
                I would be reasonably happy with the quad core AM4 APU (66 euros!, with GCN 1.2 and a heatsink/fan), 32 gigs of RAM and a brand new hard drive. I don't care if a VM etc. takes 30 seconds to launch instead of 20 if I can just run it in the first place. The RAM cost would totally dwarf the rest of the components combined.
                BTW if there's war, RAM will cost like 1000 euros for a stick of 8 gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Eh, I feel that's not easily fixable. The keyboard layout is a user preference. Whose user preference should be used while on the login screen (i.e. user is not logged in yet)?
                  The bug is about people installing Solus on their PC, selecting their keyboard layout and then being unable to login on reboot because the login interface is using US layout. There is a SINGLE user when this happens, so you WILL know what his choice is.

Also, let me tell you that I don't think different users will bring their own keyboards with different layouts to use a multi-user PC, so the lack of keyboard layout options in the login screen is a much less important thing than just setting it to the choice of the FIRST user during installation.

ikey_solus please fix this basic stuff.

Comment

You have lower taxes in Brazil:

Average state V.A.T. rate in Brazil (ICMS) is 17%.
                    In Sao Paulo the standard rate is 18%, while in Rio de Janeiro the rate is 19%.
                    The average federal V.A.T. rate (IPI) is 20%.
                    Rates of inter-state supplies within Brazil (ICMS) are 4%-25%.
                    The 7% rate relates to basic food products etc.
                    Certain products are exempt from VAT, e.g. books, newspapers. fruit and vegetables.
                    Exports are exempt from VAT.

compare to this:
                    https://www.vatlive.com/vat-rates/european-vat-rates/
                    You forget that almost nothing is produced here, so the import tax is applied over the full price incluind delevery, so this 585 euros goes up to 995, ~70% of taxes.

If it were like this VAT site, everyone would have an iPhone here

Comment

anyone here using nvidia proprietary on current Solus release? or even at least just nvidia card?

Comment

Working...
                      X