Fedora 27 Beta Hit By A Second Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Software you are using are implemented badly. Many Linux gamers use rolling release distros and hundreds of native Linux games run just fine.
    Yeah, steam works fucking great in a rolling distro. Everyone that says the contrary is a total liar.

EDIT: mandatory "/sarcasm"

Comment

Originally posted by GdeR View Post
      The only problem with Arch and Tumblewhatever
      "Tumbleweed". Try saying it - it's not hard. No harder than Rawhide.

I, for example, have to use that particular version of gcc and that version of glibc etc..
      Yeah, too bad I can't blacklist specific packages for changes in the system, and the system can't deal with the new dependency configuration. Oh wait -- that's totally easy to do - just the exact same way you would do it in Fedora. Wow, imagine that.

Even if workarounds to make them work are sometimes possible, it's not always the case (for example, I remember that the update to Ncurses 6 killed my Matlab installation on Arch).
      So? Roll back Ncurses and blacklist it from updating, same as you do on Fedora. Use whatever you like - I don't really care. But I don't see any reason to throw around obvious FUD on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Yeah, steam works fucking great in a rolling distro. Everyone that says the contrary is a total liar.

EDIT: mandatory "/sarcasm"
        Yeah - no one on Arch EVER uses Steam. Oh, wait -- what???

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
          "Tumbleweed". Try saying it - it's not hard. No harder than Rawhide.
          Tumb.. Thumb.. Dumb.. whatever, I can't. And I don't care about Rawhide either, is it even a distribution? It's you who's religious about your choices, just like all rolling distributions fundamentalists. It's your religious war. I don't tinker Linux-based systems for a living.

So? Roll back Ncurses and blacklist it from updating, same as you do on Fedora.
          Rolling back packages on Fedora? I mean why? Never done, never needed. And I told you I happen to use Linux for work, I don't live to make Linux work.

Use whatever you like - I don't really care
          But you're still trying to sell me on rolling distros, like the raw Arch, where everything is a workaround. Have I already told you I need my platform to be officially supported for my work? I will use Arch when it will be officially supported by the software I need.

But I don't see any reason to throw around obvious FUD on this topic.
          I'm not going to google all these acronyms. There are too many: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...277#post970277.

You are getting too upset because people who don't share your same needs actually exist.
          Last edited by GdeR; 22 September 2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

You are getting too upset because people who don't share your same needs actually exist.
            I should have been more specific with my key takeaway from my prior post - "Use whatever you like - I don't really care".

I will go back to my religious Tumblewhatever chicken-sacrifice blood rituals now - praying for extra performance from my CPU - don't mind me. There's no room for new converts right now, but if you put your name on the waiting list we'll get back to you.

Comment

I will go back to my religious Tumblewhatever chicken-sacrifice blood rituals now - praying for extra performance from my CPU - don't mind me. There's no room for new converts right now, but if you put your name on the waiting list we'll get back to you.
              LOL, thanks for the laugh. We are too good to be true, aren't we? Have a God Day.

Comment

LOL, thanks for the laugh. We are too good to be true, aren't we? Have a God Day.
                Tumblewhatever chicken - made myself hungry. I'll bet there's a good recipe for that.

Comment

Funny that Arch and Tumbleweed can push out new technology within a day or two of its release into a stable system with massive software support. I'm glad the days of semi-annual releases and delayed betas are in my distant past.
                  Funny that this isn't how Arch works. New technologies are pushed into the Testing branch, which is, you guessed it, for testing before the changes get pushed into the Stable branch, which is, you guessed it, the stable part you speak of. And no, changes are not only for one or two days in the Testing branch if they are deemed to be unfit for the Stable branch.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    In the mean time, Ubuntu (and derivatives) managed to release spot on (with a single exception) since 2004.
                    Ubuntu only releases spot on because they don't care at all for anything but the holy release date. They even release with bugs that are impacting huge numbers of their users (talk about Intel or AMD graphics drivers) that are well known to them, but not fixed, because the release date is more important than the quality of the release.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
                      And no, changes are not only for one or two days in the Testing branch if they are deemed to be unfit for the Stable branch.
                      My Arch laptop gets most newly released versions within a day or two. Sometimes it takes a week or so, but I get the new kernels, new versions of Mesa, Gnome, etc very quickly. Tumbleweed also. I'm aware of the testing, but testing is very fast in many cases. I know openSUSE has been touting their new automated testing for Tumbleweed that supposedly cuts the time down by a significant margin while catching more problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X