openSUSE Leap 42.3 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sysrich View Post

We're working on it - Can't promise when you might see it. There are graphical (and streamline cli) tools for migrating that SUSE Linux Enterprise uses. We actually have them in the openSUSE codebase now (thanks SUSE for contributing _everything_), but they're dependant on metadata from SUSE's Customer Centre service (what versions are supported to migrate, when, etc).

For openSUSE Leap 15 we're actually discussing with SUSE the possibility of, perhaps, allowing openSUSE users to (freely) opt-in to that service. It would make it a lot easier to use those tools, and potentially could lead to interesting options like supportable migrations from openSUSE Leap to SUSE Linux Enterprise.

Meanwhile, nothing is stopping someone from looking at the zypper-migration and yast migration tool code and implementing an alternative metadata source that could feed those tools without the need of using a registration-based service. The code is all there, we just need some contributors willing to drive it..might you be interested?
    that's great!!!

I actually noticed the subscription module on my tumbleweed. But i think a "no-need-for-a-subscription" alternative would be the path to go.

If only i would have the needed knowledge to do it, i would sure pick it up!!! A long time ago!!! Unfortunately, my coding skills are not up for such a task. :'(

Please consider a subscription-free alternative as well!

Comment

Working...
    X