No announcement yet.

openSUSE Leap 42.3 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double standards I'm afraid. Why are there CVEs for released GNOME products? If the software and "auditing" was so fantastic then why are they popping up post release?

Comment

I teach software engineering at University if you want to look at what RH ship as enterprise software, I suggest you take a look at JBOSS, Hibernate and jBPM, otherwise as usual you are totally out of your depth, like any other troll with nothing better to do

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post
        Umm. Because software at all levels have bugs? CVEs is a poor metric for accountability. You might want to pick up reading a bit about basic software engineering?
        Yes, bugs always will exist! and even if 3.22 is more stable than 3.20 they prefer to keep with 3.20 with the hope that less bugs will be found. It seems like they not trust in a new release (3.22).

Comment

It is likely just a matter of timing. SUSE started their work on the next SLE service pack before RH started 7.4 beta. If you want to look for habits then you should look on how short cooking time GNOME 3.22 got in Fedora before it was promoted to RHEL beta. That is remarkable and a proof of quality.
          Yes, it always seems to me that RHEL is more aligned with gnome than SUSE is.
          I think it is very interesting to see how latest open source sw versions are not aligned with enterprise usage.

Comment

For a a enterprose distro, having.to version bump the desktop for a point release is rather unusual, which would suggest that the they are having to deal with the inadequacies of GNOME as otherwise they would just stick to the version shipped in 7.0.

Comment

Don't worry kde will live on in the openSUSE repo. And you might want to familiarize yourself with SUSE and SLE. They use GNOME, kde is not even in the SLE repo. Unaudited code is not allowed in the enterprise world
              yes, what you said is still essentially cobblers. for exactly the reason I laid out in my first post.

Comment

That is a interesting conspiracy. Alternatively you can just accept the fact that RHEL like to share the GNOME goodies with the clients as a part of the yearly updates. Usually it is called "keeping your business competitive".
                Not a conspiracy, just a observation. Enterprise values stable and relatively static, if they want bleeding edge there is always Fedora or something else. Of course with the vast majority of Linux enterprise being for servers and other non graphical uses. The Linux desktop is just a sideshow for the likes of RH and SUSE.

Furthermore I'd wonder if you could enlighten me on what you regard as a good metric for code accountability?
                Last edited by danielnez1; 28 July 2017, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Well your observations are not in line with reality. The enterprise versions gets updates when QA and QE work is cleared. That is like 5 steps down the maturity pipeline from bleeding edge. So your observations are not applicable.
                  As usual you have no idea about what you are talking about. IT support departments don't like having to constantly update their training and/or documentation because something changes.

That it is developed with accountability in mind. Like GNOME who is not afraid to say NO to stupid things. Sure GNOME brings a level of quality where it is forkable and every little special snow flake will do compulsory ego-driven forks when they are told NO.
                  Yet more BS I'm afraid. What level of quality? Given GNOME's "vision" is ignored by RH and SUSE as they don't offer GNOMEs session as their defaults, perhaps the developers should tone down their own egos about forcing what they think is right onto their users.

Comment

Originally posted by danielnez1 View Post
                    I teach software engineering at University if you want to look at what RH ship as enterprise software, I suggest you take a look at JBOSS, Hibernate and jBPM, otherwise as usual you are totally out of your depth, like any other troll with nothing better to do

tbh, working with SLES and RHEL and the parts that may come with it like JBOSS, RHEV and the like, I do not really see why I want to look at what RH is shipping.
                    In fact. most of the shizzle we encounter are right out quality issues and weird choices RH takes. In that vase, SUSE does seem to do quite a bit better.

Maybe I misunderstand you?

Comment

Originally posted by saulo View Post

Yes, it always seems to me that RHEL is more aligned with gnome than SUSE is.
                      I think it is very interesting to see how latest open source sw versions are not aligned with enterprise usage.
                      That may be very well true. However it's a moot point for a start. Most of the servers don't use gnome, kde or whatever fancy graphical interface for a start.
                      There hardly are reasons to do so.

And yes that makes you wonder why RHEL and SLE both run in graphical mode out of the box yes. But then again, both don't offer a serious enterprise config out of the box for a start

Comment

Working...
                      X