Arch-Based arkOS Linux Being Discontinued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Not sure where you got the idea that high school/college kids don't hack on Linux
    Except that's not what I said. What I said is that it seems like the number of people hacking on native GUI apps is declining.

Everyone is doing web apps or smart phone apps (not to mention things like robotics, machine learning, IoT, etc.), so the desktop GUI toolkits don't get the level of focus & beta-testing they once did.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      This is a generic old man rant.

Waah waah young kids, waah waah. It's not kids. This is people Canonical pulled in, as they went in and tried to get normal people to use Linux by simple marketing, without teaching them to be parts of a community, attracting mostly the freeloaders. Thanks Shuttleworth.

It also contains the bullshit notion that the resources spent on making more than The Only True DE are wasted, when in fact people that make different stuff would probably never cooperate on the The Only True DE (as they probably don't like it).

And of course it contains the bullshit notion that downstream projects don't contribute back. They contribute back bugfixes or other stuff that upstream can actually accept.
      It would happen with or without Ubuntu as Linux progressed further and became more user friendly. And also Internet happened in early 2000s with the surge of computer use in general population, as a consequence general population eventually had some kind of contact with Linux via magazines, websites etc. I never mentioned any one true desktop and how everyone should work on it, dont cite things I NEVER said. My point was we dont need dozens of different desktop environments, many of which are forks of existing ones and dont bring anything new to the table. What exactly is the point of Cinnamon for example except to feed the hubris of Mint developers in the attempt to differentiate Mint from Ubuntu and other distributions? Look and feel and the UI paradigm of Cinnamon can be easily replicated with KDE and Gnome, so where is the point in Cinnamon? And what exactly did Cinnamon contribute to upstream? Budgie desktop is another example of reinventing the wheel, Elementary OS Pantheon as well, I am writing this from a modified Gnome that looks almost exactly like Pantheon who in turn draws inspiration from Apple OSX. Ubuntu's Unity at least had its own desktop paradigm and a highly functional dash and HUD, it was something new and many people liked it, me included, I can replicate a lot of Unity look and feel with KDE and Gnome, especially Gnome, but still I dont have dash as good, no HUD and also no global menu. I can create almost exactly the same look and feel and functionality of Cinnamon, Budgie and Pantheon with Gnome.

That is the main difference of Unity and Cinnamon, Budgie or Pantheon, you cant fully replicate Unity functionality on other desktops, several important parts are missing, you can replicate Cinnamon, Budgie and Pantheon functionality almost 1:1 on other desktops. I dont consider MATE particularly valid fork either, they could have contributed to Gnome flashback session and if Gnome refused that then their fork would be entirely justified. All that manpower invested in things Gnome can already do with extensions is a waste.

If you have data that Cinnamon, Budgie and Pantheon contributed a lot to Gnome then by all means let us see the data.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Ta. I've been poking around for some simple server solutions to recommend for charities etc that cant or dont want the expenses of MS server's. Tried a few. Tried Univention/UCS, but the latest iteration (4.2) left a bad taste in my mouth. Virtually nothing works, and can't even use XFS for system partitions of any sort. Maybe in a few months I'll try again, but Nethserver looks the goods.
        Hi stiiixy,

About your experience with UCS. I work for Univention and may be I can help you somehow.

To be sure. I've just added a qcow2 disk to a KVM VM with UCS core edition 4.2 installed. Then went to setup the partition, create a XFS file system, mount it and write files in it:

Code:
        #in my case fdisk -l shows the new disk as vdb
        apt-get install parted
        #parted /dev/vdb mklabel gpt mkpart P1 xfs 1MiB 1GiB #WARNING: adapt to the right disk!
        #mkfs.xfs /dev/vdb1 #WARNING: adapt to the right partition!
        After that, mount works and one can use the filesystem:

Code:
        parted /dev/vdb print
         Model: Virtio Block Device (virtblk)
         Disk /dev/vdb: 5369MB
         Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
         Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
          1      1049kB  1074MB  1073MB  xfs          P1
        mount /dev/vdb1 /mnt
        echo "some text" > /mnt/testfile
        cat /mnt/testfile
         some text
        mount -l -t xfs
         /dev/vdb1 on /mnt type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,noquota)
        Usually the system is ready to go right after initial set up. If nothing was working, as you mentioned, It may be that something didn't go well with the setup. I recommend you give it another try ;-) and if you find other issues please let me know or ask our community at help.univention.com

Comment

Working...
        X