openSUSE Leap 15 Will Succeed 42.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Yes. Version numbers have little to do with type of development.

Normal users have no fucking idea and shouldn't even be bothered to check for these technicalities in the first place.
    this!

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      This is a common misunderstanding. No, OpenSUSE's main desktop is not KDE, and neither it's Gnome.
      The installer lets you choose between the two (and other DE's at a less prominent place) and the distribution doesn't prefer one or another.
      Its not about a button, openSUSE is a well know distro for its collaborate with KDE engineers and provide best KDE experience. Like Fedora with GNOME.

Comment

I don't really like, how they messing around with version numbers and names.
        With Ubuntu it's very clear. The version number is year and month of the release date, so you can always trace how old a version is.
        Ubuntu 17.04 is from 2017, month 04 = April.
        My first Linux Distro was S.u.S.E Linux 5.1. Without reading the box or checking in internet, you will never know when was the release date.
        SuSE Linux, Open Suse, LEAP, Tumbleweed, SUSE Linux Enterprise, ... so many wired names, where I don't know what it means and they changing over years, again and again.
        KISS = Keep It Stupid Simple
        Ubuntu 16.04 LTS = Long Term Support. It is very clear, that it will be supported for a long time and I see the release date. I don't know that with Suse, without reading manuals and howtos. Just from the name.
        Last edited by WLBI; 23 April 2017, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Currently there are 3 Versions from opensuse, SUSE Linux Enterprise(LTS), openSUSE LEAP(Stable), openSUSE Tumbleweed(Rolling)

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            This is a common misunderstanding. No, OpenSUSE's main desktop is not KDE, and neither it's Gnome.
            The installer lets you choose between the two (and other DE's at a less prominent place) and the distribution doesn't prefer one or another.
            Wrong, the installer defaults to KDE and then lets you choose other stuff since a long time https://lwn.net/Articles/347859/
            They also make official releases with most updated KDE desktop similar to what happens in KDE Neon (OpenSUSE Argon and Krypton, the first based on Leap and the second based off Tubleweed) http://www.cio.com/article/3034988/l...ributions.html
            And there is some collaboration on the dev side.

Then of course this is just a "main" desktop on a linux distro. You can install whatever other DE at the install time (or later) if you so choose.

Comment

Originally posted by WLBI View Post
              SuSE Linux, Open Suse, LEAP, Tumbleweed, SUSE Linux Enterprise, ... so many wired names, where I don't know what it means and they changing over years, again and again.
              Oh please... It hasn't been S.u.S.E. for forever and a day, then it was just openSUSE for a really long time, and now it's openSUSE in the Leap (LTS) and Tumbleweed (rolling release) variants, with the names reminiscient of jumping between versions and rolling along with versions... it's really really not that hard. I fail to believe that anyone is so stupid that they can't keep up with the openSUSE naming.

Comment

Kinda weird to jump around like that, but I appreciate that version is back to a number that does not remind me Firefox or Chrome.
                There are other OS's with high version numbers. For example, on AmigaOS 4, a lot of the default applications are currently at version 52 or higher and the build number of the OS itself is also quite high. On Windows, there are also default applications with high version numbers. And even lots of 3rd party apps have high version numbers. (and on Linux, BLAG Linux has the highest version numbers, ranging in the 100000's!) So it's quite common, actually and although I do agree that Firefox and Chrome are jumping too fast, they did not invent high version numbers.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 23 April 2017, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WLBI View Post
                  KISS = Keep It Stupid Simple
                  Ubuntu 16.04 LTS = Long Term Support. It is very clear, that it will be supported for a long time and I see the release date.
                  Well, NO.
                  Ever tried to add a repository to Ubuntu?
                  They expect you to know that 16.04 was named "shitty shit" by a funny guy. Or was it "wanky wanker"?

OTOH, SUSE has IMHO much more important things to solve (steam and gaming compatibility comes to my mind).
                  So, I don't care about their numbering (looking at the S.u.S.E. Linux 5.0 handbook in the shelf).

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
                    OTOH, SUSE has IMHO much more important things to solve (steam and gaming compatibility comes to my mind).
                    What's wrong with Steam on OpenSUSE? Here on Leap all is fine.

Comment

Wrong, the installer defaults to KDE and then lets you choose other stuff since a long time https://lwn.net/Articles/347859/
                      Oh, then plese also tell the OpenSUSE chairman that he's wrong and should stop using Gnome with it.

They also make official releases with most updated KDE desktop similar to what happens in KDE Neon (OpenSUSE Argon and Krypton, the first based on Leap and the second based off Tubleweed) http://www.cio.com/article/3034988/l...ributions.html
                      They are not related to the official Leap releases.

And there is some collaboration on the dev side.
                      There should be "some collaboration" with any DE, called "downstream fixes".

Comment

Working...
                      X