openSUSE Leap 15 Will Succeed 42.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
    Hopefully the backwards jump won't cause too much trouble.
    Depends on how the RPM version macros are handled. The public-facing version number is not used in any of the RPM version macros (those use a combination of SLE version and release date), so if they continue the same version macro numbering scheme then it shouldn't even be noticeable from a software standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post

I'm also on Leap 42.2 + kernel:stable (for rx480 support) + X11:Xorg (for MESA 17.0.4).
      How do you start steam? (export some settings?)
      How do you start games? Which ones?
      When I start steam (just "steam" at a konsole) I can't start games by clicking in the steam gui. I just tested Broforce, Shadow Warrior, Tomb Raider, Dota2, Hitman. all get a "Game removed" in the steam output after crashing.
      When starting the games from their folder in their own konsole, some of them work (Hitman for example still crashes).
      If I find the time, I will file bug reports...

Deus Ex can not work correctly with Leap 42.2 because llvm 3.9 is required. In Leap 42.2 llvm 3.8 is used, so you only get funny colors.

This is what I mean with poor steam and gaming support in Suse.
      But, if there is a way to get it working with my rx480 - please tell me!

Cheers,
      mibo
      Did you have luck with any other distribution? I am also on Opensuse 42.2 and have no problem running steam. I have GTX 660 though.

Comment

Originally posted by pumrel View Post

Did you have luck with any other distribution? I am also on Opensuse 42.2 and have no problem running steam. I have GTX 660 though.
        I didn't try a different distro, yet.
        Did you install steamtricks or other packages that provide workarounds for steam problems?

I think, your binary Nvidia driver makes quite a difference (having not so many dependencies on libs).

For my next upgrade I will probably try tumbleweed (because kernel and MESA are still progressing so quickly for the AMD drivers...)

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post
          I'm also on Leap 42.2 + kernel:stable (for rx480 support) + X11:Xorg (for MESA 17.0.4).
          I have Leap 42.2 with no additional stuff, on Intel HD 4000 graphics so there is probably something in drivers too.
          How do you start steam? (export some settings?)
          No, it starts properly. Only I game I that is giving issues is Starmade that lacks audio (needs to be launched by exporting the path to its sound lib, known issue). I have various Unity games (3D and 2D) and XCOM and Sanctum 2.

Please make sure you have properly nuked the Steam's runtime libraries that most commonly choke it, see this post (first try the second post about deleting some of them with the find... blabla command, if that does not work you can do the steam --reset and start it with native libs) https://www.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/co...eweed/d57gauh/ (the LD_PRELOAD= stuff should not be necessary)

Or also Debian's page https://wiki.debian.org/Steam

I had to do this some months ago, but it's a "Steam being retarded garbage" thing. I had to nuke stuff also when I was on Debian.

If you start things from konsole you should see the output on it, does it list errors on startup? You can usually google them up. Most of the cases you end up in pages telling you to do what I said above (nuking some known Steam runtime libs).

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            In case you didn't notice, on Windows: Firefox and Chrome have their own auto-updater service that runs independently and updates them without having to ask user permission since like 2012 or something.
            And Adobe have their own updater service. And every bloody software vendor does the same. So your machine is running all these background processes for all these different products, continually checking for updates all the time. And people wonder why their Windows machines are running so slowly?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

There are other OS's with high version numbers. ...
              This is why I think everyone should standardize on “stardate” version numbers.

Here is a one-liner that prints out the current stardate according to my system:

bc <<<"scale = 1; ($(date +%s)) / 86400"

Comment

Since this post is back in fashion these days, my opinion is that they have done well to synchronize Leap with SLE with numbering versions. On the default DE, historically Suse is Kde, but has always offered a great Gnome experience. Perhaps the difference is in a greater involvement in the Kde project, but the truth is that unlike other openSUSE distributions it works well and the consequence is a very good Gnome and a great KDE.

Comment

Working...
                X