Ubuntu To Begin Making Use Of Swapfiles In Place Of SWAP Partitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
    My remark applies to all users, “businness” or not.
    I answered to your claim that Windows's limit of 26 drives is an issue for businness (they simply mount drives or RAID arrays to folders).

Users would be hard-pressed to have so much drives connected to a single PC, and making multi-partition drives (the letter is for each volume/partition) is pretty rare even for power users or businness.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      is an issue for businness
      I didn’t say it was “an issue”, merely pointing out how unwise it was.

so much drives ... is pretty rare even for power users or businness.
      Agreeing with what I said, in other words.

Comment

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
        I didn’t say it was “an issue”, merely pointing out how unwise it was.
        You said "Would you trust mission-critical business functions to an OS that can only handle 26 drive letters? "
        And since:
        -actually reaching that limit on a single system is unlikely
        -even if you reach it you can simply mount drives under folders like linux

that's not even "unwise", that's not terribly different from what Linux does.

Agreeing with what I said, in other words.
        No, I didn't try to claim that using 26 drive letters + linux-like mount points is bad enough to not trust Windows with mission-critical businness functions.
        Nice strawman, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post
          Wouldn't it be better to use zswap along with a swap partition (or file) by default? This would mean existing swap devices are used efficiently while also compressing contents in memory, whereas with zswap you are creating a separate swap device in main memory. I don't think using zram removes the need for a swap device for all combinations of workloads and systems either, so they cannot start removing swap creation from the default installation (which is what I'd hazard a large chunk of users go with).
          I guess you're right. If you do have a swap on disk it would be generally better to use zswap instead of zram. Ubuntu doesn't enable either by default.

I've been advising people to enable zram because it is easier to set up than zswap on Ubuntu systems.

Comment

Originally posted by migizi View Post
            I don't see the real benefit to this. Having worked in IT for a long time, those swap files always caused problems. Especially with removable media. Windows loved to put swap files on external hard drives, then you can unmount it properly. If you just say F-it and pull it out you cause a bunch of problems. I also don't see how that is going to play out well in mirrored raid. You're basically writing your swap data twice now instead of just having it sit on a non mirrored partition.
            on windows machines without huge amount of RAM, they also tended to get fragmented as fuck over time

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I'm wondering if now swapfiles can handle hybernation too. I thought only swap partitions could handle that.
              Yes. swap files handle hibernation too. I'm using it. And I'm surprised how much ill information is there in this thread.

rrs@learner:/var/tmp/limba$ cat /proc/swaps
              Filename Type Size Used Priority
              /swap.img file 10485756 0 10
              /dev/dm-2 partition 8785916 0 100
              /dev/zram0 partition 2016988 0 32767
              2016-12-26 / 16:21:28 ♒♒♒ ☺

Comment

Working...
              X