Ubuntu To Begin Making Use Of Swapfiles In Place Of SWAP Partitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu To Begin Making Use Of Swapfiles In Place Of SWAP Partitions

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Begin Making Use Of Swapfiles In Place Of SWAP Partitions

Ubuntu is going to begin making use of swapfiles in place of swap partitions on new (non-LVM) based installations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After 20 years, catching up to NT 4.0. Better late than never.

Comment

All the distros should follow this.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        All the distros should follow this.
        May just do that :')

Comment

I've been running without a swap partition for years, basically after I got 8GB RAM a few machines ago - I'm now running on 32GB

Comment

what's so bad about swap partition apart from just being old? swapfiles are still going to use storage space

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              After 20 years, catching up to NT 4.0. Better late than never.
              Yeah, this is a major feature that brings Ubuntu closer to their MS masters.

Comment

I wonder what happens if you place the swapfile in a tmpfs partition

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
                  what's so bad about swap partition apart from just being old? swapfiles are still going to use storage space
                  If you resize it you get storage space back without having to repartition root (which must be done offline for most old-gen filesystems), but 99.999% of users aren't going to do that.

But yeah, overall it's not a MAJOR LEAP towards anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                    I wonder what happens if you place the swapfile in a tmpfs partition
                    It disappears on reboot, and if you have not set its mount as "nofail" in the mount options in fstab, systemd blocks boot process after a minute and a half of timeout.
                    If you did set the "nofail" it will just complain that it can't mount it.

Comment

Working...
                    X