No announcement yet.

Mythbuntu Linux Distribution Discontinued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used it until about two years ago, alongside then-XBMC. I had some unused hardware after my main PC upgrade, so I decided to make an HTPC out of that. The problem was that it was too noisy and too slow to start in the end, so now it's retired. But MythTV vanilla actually worked better than XBMC, being able to switch channels faster and freezing less often.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      I used it until about two years ago, alongside then-XBMC. I had some unused hardware after my main PC upgrade, so I decided to make an HTPC out of that. The problem was that it was too noisy and too slow to start in the end, so now it's retired. But MythTV vanilla actually worked better than XBMC, being able to switch channels faster and freezing less often.
      I use Open/LibreELEC from a USB stick on a Gigabyte E-350 (waiting for the Zen-era stuff to be released to upgrade, although no great gurry because) and it handless pretty much everything I ask of it quite well. All open source drivers.

Give those a shot, and if you;re still having noise issues, I recommend you look at your coolers. And your choice of video card. No one in their right mind uses a gaming-;eve; card in a HTPC and expects silence. Or as least db lower than the actual programme you're watching.

And I guess I've thrown my usage vote in the Kodi camp. I used to use MediaPortal when frodo bought that out, but Linux was just to enchanting to continue with Windows-based stuff. Duh.
      Hi

Comment

I'm using Mythbuntu repositories on Ubuntu, but I've never used the Mythbuntu distribution. The repositories just provide much more stable MythTV than Ubuntu's own. At least that's how I begun to use them. I don't know how much longer I'll keep my recording server as it seems that DVB-T2 transition will kill recording of most channels (they require a card to decrypt the content and CI+ can't be used with computers at least not for now).

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
          But that is good. More focus, less choice. In order to have a better ecosystem you'll have to stomp on the need of the few in order to better satisfy the many. It's the only way you will gain market share.
          You're such a poor imitation of Linux hater: http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2008...of-choice.html
          Get some new material to troll with.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
            So if two people say the same thing it means that one is imitating the other? Maybe we came to the same conclusion independently? Maybe we're right?
            No, you are imitating him because you use the same fictional bullshit assumptions, likely because you either are the same person or because you both don't understand the world around you.

1. linux isn't about choice, it never was and it never will be. That's bullshit propaganda from Canonical. Linux is about open source. More choices is a consequence, not a goal in itself.

2. limiting choice does NOT automatically mean more people will work on The One True Way, especially if you are talking of voluntary work. This is basic fact of life, true regardless of Linux or software or whatever. Limiting choice only means that. Less choice. If stuff was shit before it will remain shit later, you just have less choice.

These two things alone are enough to show the argument you and that idiot are making is pure bullshit.

I'll also disregard most of that guy's blatant strawmanning because it's trolling so hard that it is just funny.

Ah, btw, that post is starting to show how dated it is.

"Look at the internet, look at how IE still has a huge market share." Yeah right. Like less than 30% and in a declining trend.

Really, what most people use is stuff that was forced unto them, plain and simple. Quality is usually irrelevant (remember IE6 days).
            Guess why Chrome is the most used browser now (50% and counting), is it because it is "better"? No, it isn't visibly better for 99% of the userbase. It has just adopted an aggressive campaign of installations, where whatever you install from the internet tries to bundle Chrome and when Chrome installs itself it auto-sets as default browser.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
              Give those a shot, and if you;re still having noise issues, I recommend you look at your coolers. And your choice of video card. No one in their right mind uses a gaming-;eve; card in a HTPC and expects silence. Or as least db lower than the actual programme you're watching.
              Eh, its functionality was taken over by a semi-smart TV now (as in, pretty much a TV with DVR capabilities and update over the net). But yes, the video card was one of the problems. Another was the chassis, it just didn't have good enough air flow, and only slots for the tiny fans. The processor was a Phenom II, too.

In its place I now use a ZOTAC mini-PC with two HDD slots. Quite inaudible and enough power to run my server.

Comment

So Any opinions on what the current best media center style interface is? Just asking because it may help people like me that are still using MythTV easily find an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  So Any opinions on what the current best media center style interface is? Just asking because it may help people like me that are still using MythTV easily find an alternative.
                  Kodi (was XBMC) is what I usually install in HTPCs. It has no PVR capability on its own, but it supports more or less all other PVR software as backends (Mythtv included). Please note that "backend" means Kodi will operate them through its own interface. http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_backend (this wiki page contains a list of quite a bit of PVR software, so you might want to ckeck the link even if you don't like Kodi)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    it is an illusion that ubuntu is the most popular, see:
                    https://distrowatch.com/
                    You may want to get another source on distro popularity...
                    "The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more." -- http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      As others have mentioned, Kodi is a great frontend option (even if you keep using MythTV as a backend)

I've been using TVHeadEnd for severals years now and love it as a backend option which can also stream via webui and has apps for Android/iOS.

Comment

Working...
                      X