No announcement yet.

Mythbuntu Linux Distribution Discontinued

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Any opinions on what the current best media center style interface is? Just asking because it may help people like me that are still using MythTV easily find an alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      So Any opinions on what the current best media center style interface is? Just asking because it may help people like me that are still using MythTV easily find an alternative.
      Kodi (was XBMC) is what I usually install in HTPCs. It has no PVR capability on its own, but it supports more or less all other PVR software as backends (Mythtv included). Please note that "backend" means Kodi will operate them through its own interface. http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR_backend (this wiki page contains a list of quite a bit of PVR software, so you might want to ckeck the link even if you don't like Kodi)

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post

But that is good. More focus, less choice. In order to have a better ecosystem you'll have to stomp on the need of the few in order to better satisfy the many. It's the only way you will gain market share.
        it is an illusion that ubuntu is the most popular, see:
        https://distrowatch.com/
        Mint 2894
        Debian 1684
        Ubuntu 1358
        If you want to have ms os like troubles, use Debian derivatives. More software, more problems. Keep it simple, stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          it is an illusion that ubuntu is the most popular, see:
          https://distrowatch.com/
          You may want to get another source on distro popularity...
          "The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more." -- http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            You may want to get another source on distro popularity...
            It is your job to prove that ubuntu is the most popular. Steam is not a good source, because many users do not use steam or use steam with wine.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              As others have mentioned, Kodi is a great frontend option (even if you keep using MythTV as a backend)

I've been using TVHeadEnd for severals years now and love it as a backend option which can also stream via webui and has apps for Android/iOS.

Comment

It is your job to prove that ubuntu is the most popular. Steam is not a good source, because many users do not use steam or use steam with wine.
                Who the fuck claimed Ubuntu is the most popular anyway?

Comment

It is your job to prove that ubuntu is the most popular.
                  No, it's your job to stop talking out your ass (like you do in a lot of your posts) and use relevant sources to back up your claims. I never personally said anything about Ubuntu being the most popular (or not).

Steam is not a good source, because many users do not use steam or use steam with wine.
                  Did anyone suggest it was?

Comment

I have used MythTV for many years and for my use case, it is MUCH better than Kodi! The recording and playback functionality is fantastic - although I am thinking of attempting to write a full blown Android front end (full functionality) for it (as a native Android TV application) so that I can have the full functionality of the front end (rather than the limited functionality offered by the Kodi plug-in) without having to run another (admittedly tiny) Ubuntu PC as my front end (and yes I do like other distros as well!). A lot of work but I'll give it a go. The existing MythTV front ends on Android are a bit meh in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X