Canonical Rolls Out Its Own Kernel Livepatching Service For Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
    Ironically Ubuntu is supposed to mean humanity towards others... yeah right! Why are people using this stuff anyway? Debian is right there and it works great!
    I guess I don't know why Debian has such loyalty.
    It's certainly getting to the point where the deltas between distro level tooling are becoming hard to see unless you are involved in the development of the distros themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
      If you compare Ubuntu 12$ price with RH and Suse with thousands in support contracts per node, then Ubuntu is clearly a winner.
      That is a definition of bad business decision in a larger enterprise environment showing the lack of basic economics. When you split the cost behind the thousand dollars worth a contract per node, you will understand why 12$ for support contract per node is an awful choice for the intended market.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

That is a definition of bad business decision in a larger enterprise environment showing the lack of basic economics. When you split the cost behind the thousand dollars worth a contract per node, you will understand why 12$ for support contract per node is an awful choice for the intended market.
        I guess the whole point is that if you are NOT a larger enterprise environment, but say a SMB, then it can be a great option.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Well, I see $150 in the blog post.

• Canonical Livepatching is available for every Ubuntu Advantage customer, starting at our entry level UA Essential for $150/node/year, and available for free to community users of Ubuntu.
          admittedly, this isn't much more, but that should translate to a 10x increase in revenue compared to the aforementioned value.

Comment

Well, you pay for a service fee that they create and provide live patches for their kernels, as well as SuSe and Red Hat.
            The interesting parts are hidden here: https://pages.ubuntu.com/rs/066-EOV-...tching_DS_.pdf

Originally posted by PDF
            How does this service compare to Oracle Ksplice, RHEL Live Patching and SUSE Live Patching?

While the concepts are largely the same, the technical implementations and the commercial terms are very different. Oracle Ksplice uses it’s own technology which
            is not in upstream Linux. RHEL and SUSE currently use their own homegrown kpatch/kgraft implementations, respectively. Canonical Livepatching uses the upstream
            Linux Kernel Live Patching technology.

- Ksplice is free, but unsupported, for Ubuntu Desktops, and only available for Oracle Linux and RHEL servers with an Oracle Linux Premier Support license ($2299/node/year).

- It’s a little unclear how to subscribe to RHEL Kernel Live Patching, but it appears that you need to first be a RHEL customer, and then enroll in the SIG (Special Interests
            Group) through your TAM (Technical Account Manager), which requires Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server Premium Subscription at $1299/node/year.

- SUSE Live Patching is available as an add-on to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 Priority Support subscription at $1,499/node/year, but does come with a free music video.

- Canonical Livepatching is available for every Ubuntu Advantage customer, starting at our entry level UA Essential for $150/node/year, and available for free to community users of Ubuntu.

Comment

@Michael: Have you ever thought of running a funding campaign for a new forum? The current one really sucks.

Comment

Seems like vBulletin ate my previous post about the difference between KSplice, KGraft and Kpatch. They are described here:

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post

Of course, but this is against the way Linux and GNU progress through collaboration , not lock in/out.
                  How do you manage to see this as vendor lock in?

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                    Seems like vBulletin ate my previous post about the difference between KSplice, KGraft and Kpatch. They are described here:

https://pages.ubuntu.com/rs/066-EOV-...tching_DS_.pdf
                    The upstream live patching system is based on the unification of kpatch and kGraft technologies.

Comment

Ubuntu should have easier kernel naming.
                      They name 4.8.0-22-24. What does that even mean?
                      I heard it is even 4.8.1 even though the name tells otherwise?
                      I am so confused!

Comment

Working...
                      X