Ubuntu 16.10's YY Codename Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

Give Fedora a try. Fedora has releases roughly every six months like Ubuntu but it more closely follows GNOME upstream. Rather than going their own way like Canonical with Mir, Fedora is working with the broader free software community to complete the few missing pieces of Wayland. (GNOME on Wayland is fairly solid on Fedora 23 and supposedly even better with Fedora 24).

Fedora is available in desktop ("workstation"), server, and cloud flavors.
    Fedora is a great distro. Just don't rely on RPM Fusion. I'd probably still be on Fedora today if it wasn't for RPM Fusion and lack-of any real alternative...

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Talk about going off the rails.

So are there any distros out there that actually care about the user experience?

Solus if you like simplicity. KaOS if you like KDE. Arch if you wanna make your own experience.

Comment

Jeff Minter is gonna love this.

Comment

Clickbait?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Clickbait?
            indubitably.

Yielding Yak would make more sense, except some people understand "yield" as "acknowledging defeat"

Comment

Can't wait for Ubuntu 17.10, the Aachener Aardvark.

Comment

I don't hold out much hope that it'll be any good given that it's a short blog post just announcing the name when he usually sets out the vision for the next release. I'm expecting yet another placeholder release merely with version bumps of included packages. Canonical haven't done anything with the desktop for years now, it really is a sad state of affairs. If I went with fixed released distros I wouldn't even consider Ubuntu.

Say what you will about Red Hat, at least Fedora is innovating and trying things. Wayland is useable and within reach of parity with X. Gnome is always advancing. They've got Docker, which I'm not particular interested in, but at least it's a thing. They're doing stuff, not chasing pipe dreams of desktop/mobile conversion which it's clear very few people are interested in. MS tried it with Windows 8, then retreated with their tail between their legs with Windows 10. It ain't going to happen.

Comment

Some people just can't understand that convergence means more than just phone-turns-into-desktop. Convergence is the idea that you can run the same OS on different computers. So you can run Ubuntu on Raspberry Pi, PC or on POWER8. We would also like to run Ubuntu on phones and tablets. This is not something that very few people are interested in; a lot of people want a "real" Linux system on their phones. This means that we need a new interface that is suitable for phones. For completely different reasons, we also need a new system for desktops. But when you're designing both a new interface for phones and a new interface for desktops, there's little reason to make them incompatible by design. It is better to make them compatible by design. This makes it easier for developers to maintain, as compared to running two different operating systems based on the screen size.

In other words; although phone-turns-into-desktop is a cool feature that attracts attention, that's not the main idea. There's just no reason for a modern OS to discriminate against touch-only computers except in order to be backwards compatible. But since that's not an option at all in this case anyway, there's no reason not to add a phone interface. Unity 7 must be replaced because Compiz has to be replaced as a consequence of having to replace X.org.

Even if you're not particularly interested in using your phone as a desktop, you might be interested in running Ubuntu on both your phone and your desktop. I struggle to understand why so many find this idea so difficult; we want our GNU+Linux on all our computers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    Talk about going off the rails.

So are there any distros out there that actually care about the user experience?
                    It's a DEVELOPMENT codename, so it actually has nothing to do with the user experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X