Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slackware 14.2 RC1 Arrives

Phoronix: Slackware 14.2 RC1 Arrives

Coming two months past the Slackware 14.2 beta is now the release candidate for this next major Linux distribution update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This was my first Linux distribution that I used. It was a great learning experience to dig in read all the manual pages, learn to write shell scripts, and geek around.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      This was my first Linux distribution that I used. It was a great learning experience to dig in read all the manual pages, learn to write shell scripts, and geek around.
      I'm disappointed that it seems not wait for MESA 11.2...

Comment

So is bluetooth audio the only reason for adding pulseaudio? I was looking on the website and I couldn't find any other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubble Monkey View Post
          So is bluetooth audio the only reason for adding pulseaudio? I was looking on the website and I couldn't find any other reason.
          easy additional volume (laptop speakers). per app volume control.

That's about it. Almost nobody actually needs PA, alsa is just fine by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

easy additional volume (laptop speakers). per app volume control.
            Add moving running applications to a different output to that list. Especially usefull with applications which just allow the selection of the (alsa) output at start-up time using some config file.

Comment

Just ALSA is absolutely fine. HW has been capable of mixing multiple streams for ages.
              Pulseaudio burns CPU if you want anything more than a useless mixing function.
              Per-application volume control is a non-used feature for me. So is moving streams to other outputs while running.
              Agree with duby229. Also, I think Slackware went backwards with this addition.
              Keeping shit like SystemD and Pulseaudio out of the distro should be a win, not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Masush5 View Post

Add moving running applications to a different output to that list. Especially usefull with applications which just allow the selection of the (alsa) output at start-up time using some config file.
                I can imagine that would be useful in scenarios like, you started watching a show on the computer and then switched to the TV. If you want audio routed through HDMI, what your saying would be nice indeed.

Although I recommend a component receiver. I use one because its awesome so my entertainment center and computer use the same sound system.
                Last edited by duby229; 19 March 2016, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                  HW has been capable of mixing multiple streams for ages.
                  not hardware used by 99% of people
                  Pulseaudio burns CPU
                  you should spend money not on "HW has been capable of mixing multiple streams", but on proper multicore cpu. one more core costs few bucks and is more than enough for audio and can be used for other things
                  Keeping shit like SystemD and Pulseaudio out of the distro should be a win, not the other way around.
                  it is a win, slackware just too slow to get it. in a few years it will follow rest of the world with transition to systemd

Comment

There was a ton of discussion on the linuxquestions forums for ways to avoid including PA in 14.2. The general consensus is that not including PA would result in a loss of functionality due to the lack of that particular bluetooth driver. However, Pat has everything else configured to run through alsa, so if you set up PA as a dumb pipe to whatever software needs it, (as is detailed in this Arch Linux wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...b_pipe_to_ALSA) nearly everything runs through alsa just fine. I haven't checked the particular thread since then, but initial reports from picky, PA-hating audiophile users have indicated that this method seems to be satisfactory, and most people seem to agree that the impact of PA on Slackware will be minimal.

Comment

Working...
                    X