Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android-x86-Powered Remix OS Now In Beta

Phoronix: Android-x86-Powered Remix OS Now In Beta

Last month was word of Android-x86 joining the company behind Remix OS, an Android-based OS designed for PCs and laptops. Out now is the Remix OS Beta that's leveraging the Android-x86 project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if NVIDIAs refactored graphics stack that is more decoupled from X11 will make it possible to get 3D acceleration on Android x86. Shouldn't be impossible to compile the nvidia module against the kernel of Android x86. Does Android x86 use libhybris to make surfaceflinger run on the regular open source graphics stack?

Comment

It seems a cheap alternative to play some heavier Android games on a dual boot machine instead of buying a new flagship smartphone

Some strategy games like Warhammer 40k Space Wolf or XCom enemy within

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        I wonder if NVIDIAs refactored graphics stack that is more decoupled from X11 will make it possible to get 3D acceleration on Android x86. Shouldn't be impossible to compile the nvidia module against the kernel of Android x86. Does Android x86 use libhybris to make surfaceflinger run on the regular open source graphics stack?

I'm not an expert, but I think you got the idea of Libhybris the other way around. I think the point of Libhybris is to allow regular desktop environments to be accelerated by android drivers, not android surfaceflinger be accelerated by regular drivers. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
          Some strategy games like Warhammer 40k Space Wolf or XCom enemy within
          But Xcom is already on normal Linux where it performs tons better. Why would that game be a selling point to you?

Comment

This is binary chinese spyware. THEY DO NOT PROVIDE SOURCE CODE.
            This is not news, and not useful for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

I agree with your latter point. Your former point is pretty good satire, so hats off.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Thanks for the heads-up
                I was downloading it to try it in Virtualbox, but if it's not free software is unuseable, my Google credentials can be stolen easily
                Since the Linux kernel and Android are free, I wonder if it's legal to use them without providing the source code?

Comment

Thanks, but I am more interested in removing Android and replacing with full-blooded Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    Thanks for the heads-up
                    I was downloading it to try it in Virtualbox, but if it's not free software is unuseable, my Google credentials can be stolen easily
                    Since the Linux kernel and Android are free, I wonder if it's legal to use them without providing the source code?

The Linux Kernel is GPL licensed, so source code must be released. Such as on Android-X86. Android has a different license, but I don't remember which one, or what it entails. Keep in mind, Amazon use a closed version of Android, so it must allow being closed.

Comment

Working...
                    X