The Chromium Web Browser Might Finally Be Added To Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Another case is that Firefox don't send to the cloud my custom search engines and their respective keywords. Chrome does. After every new install I have to go out and visit the sites and got then back.
    I dont want to dictate you what you use how, but just my 2 cents on it: why not giving it a shot to not use tabs as your memory, I use no browser tabs anymore, and I dont have to use the inbuild browser history system anymore. so you may say nice for you but why should I change something on my workflow it works good enough?

Its nice to be able to restart your pc or something without thinking a second how you save or restore your tabs, and you guaranteed have some to long open tabs open just to see if that article or whatever is maybe relevant. you also first have to undock a tab to see them side by side (on 4k monitors thats a thing), and whats maybe the most important point, even if you still use tabs, you dont have to repeetitivly go every day manually onto several websites and click there on links searching the point where you know the news already.

for that rss is nice, as example use some software like thunderbird for it, you have hopefully a nativ emailclient already so why not using it and instead of you the user manually polling websites, let a programm do for u.

Even if you live in a browser there are rss solutions for that too, like tinytinyrss, there is at least also a native android client. at least on mobile people tent do replace the browser with 1000 website specific apps because the huge overhead browsers generate people do notice there when their accus go empty much faster, and using webbrowser makes even less fun then on a desktop because not all websites scale well and on this slow cpus they render often not so fast. yes its pollible and you can buy your 500 euro 8core phone to use the browser lagfree kind of, but its just not reasonable. its like driving a suv to raise your change to survive a accident, even the chances for the other vehicle involved surviving that is significant lower, and that ends then in people buying tanks because then they survive most likely a accident.

sorry to get a bit off topic but I find this discussion which browser suck here and there a bit more or less not so important, the point is they all suck. for some tasks you need them sadly enough but trying to not using it as operating system is a good thing in my opinion, as you maybe switched to linux because you dont like proprietary software but then all the website sends you proprietary software.

you cant theme your browser so that all sites have the same for you appealing look etc.

Also I dont get why all people that use pcs for several years dont optimise their work at some point, its a lack of being able to commit or pure lazyness. even if my suggestens not right for you, why would you want to use the same environment a 7 year old uses when he first use a pc. Do you do the same in cooking do you stick to the first rezept you learned to cook like cooked eggs? or do you learn to make more maybe make it more efficient etc learn new recipies...

I sound here maybe arogant but I did the same for many years, I even used webmail. But again just a hint that you not need to have a browsercentric workflow and that there are tasks that you do every day 100 times or more, that you can (semi) automate. Again most people let their mobile phone check for new emails they dont start the client and press a button to search new mails. why should we handle news different?
    Last edited by blackiwid; 11 August 2015, 09:10 PM.

Comment

My (arch) chromium reproduces MP3.
      They will remove that?

Comment

The intent was to encourage some discussion about this topic. As the thread notes, the recent discussions regarding the Konqueror browser highlighted the fact Fedora is highly dependent on Firefox. Firefox ends up being the default choice because it is the ONLY choice. That is becoming an untenable situation.

When this was first considered, Chromium was a new project, didn't have many users and wasn't that popular. That simply is no longer the situation. Time to reconsider.
        Last edited by gbcox; 12 August 2015, 02:11 AM. Reason: No text changed, the formatting was off for some reason.

Comment

They should package Fifth, and keep their Otter more up to date

Comment

Does Google control the Chromium source code? What's the likelihood that someone will just fork it and fix the issues that Fedora are having? Is there not enough desire to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by souenzzo View Post
              My (arch) chromium reproduces MP3.
              They will remove that?
              Why not using gstreamer to support codecs on Chromium? The Fedora version of Firefox does that out of box. Below is an example on Firefox 39.0.3.
              Code:
               [h=2]Configure arguments[/h]  --enable-application=browser --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-system-zlib --with-system-bz2 --with-system-libvpx --enable-system-hunspell --with-pthreads --disable-strip --disable-tests --disable-mochitest --disable-installer --enable-xinerama --disable-xprint --disable-strip --enable-system-cairo --enable-pango --enable-svg --enable-canvas --disable-javaxpcom --enable-startup-notification --enable-safe-browsing --enable-extensions=default --enable-libnotify --enable-necko-wifi --enable-startup-notification --disable-cpp-exceptions --disable-updater --enable-url-classifier --enable-gio --disable-gnomevfs --enable-chrome-format=omni --enable-pulseaudio --with-system-icu --with-mozilla-api-keyfile=../mozilla-api-key --enable-release --enable-official-branding --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk3 --with-system-nspr --with-system-nss --enable-system-sqlite --enable-system-cairo --enable-system-ffi --enable-gstreamer=1.0 --disable-debug --enable-optimize --with-system-jpeg

Comment

The only reason I use Chromium instead of Firefox is that Chromium renders heavier web pages a lot faster than Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
                  The intent was to encourage some discussion about this topic. As the thread notes, the recent discussions regarding the Konqueror browser highlighted the fact Fedora is highly dependent on Firefox. Firefox ends up being the default choice because it is the ONLY choice. That is becoming an untenable situation.

When this was first considered, Chromium was a new project, didn't have many users and wasn't that popular. That simply is no longer the situation. Time to reconsider.
                  fuck both, Firefox and Chromium. they are not the ONLY choices. i started to use epiphany again in 22 and my life just went for better after that. my ram is not being taken hostage by singular application anymore, browsing is fast and it falls nicely into desktop which is something both Firefox and Chrome/Chromium suck at

Comment

Review Request to include Chromium into Fedora repos
                    "With the recent change in bundling policy, I'm going to drive this truck full of radioactive waste and zombie bits through that hole."

Comment

Working...
                    X