No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 15.10 Could Be The End Of The Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu has a lot of advantages, even if it changes its name, it's going to be there. You can buy computers (e.g. from ZaReason) with Kubuntu preinstalled, there are a lot of users brought by civil services (*)(**)(***), it has technical support (****) when a company/government needs to pay an expert, it has paying sponsors (Blue Systems), etc.

(*)Kubuntu rollouts include the world's largest Linux desktop deployment, that includes more than 500,000 desktops in Brazil (in 42,000 schools of 4,000 cities)

An LWN article from a few weeks ago talks about Userful Corporation's deployment of Linux in Brazillian schools. "The Brazil deployment has been rolling out in phases since 2008, and currently includes more than 42,000 schools in 4,000 cities.

"Kubuntu gets used throughout the world, including in the world's largest desktop deployment in Brazil."

(**) What is the Limux client? Put simply, it?s a customised version of Kubuntu.
    -- http://www.linuxvoice.com/the-big-switch/
    -- http://www.linuxvoice.com/issues/002/02munich.pdf
    "We're meeting in Munich at the offices of LiMux who have just completed their transition to convert the whole of public administration in Munich to Kubuntu, over 15,000 computers."
    - https://blogs.kde.org/blog/57

(***) http://www.fsdaily.com/Government/Ne...000_school_PCs

(****) http://kubuntu.emerge-open.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      Alternatives to Kubuntu!?
      What do people think of solydK?

Comment

If I may propose an alternative to Kubuntu: Debian Stable, installed with the KDE desktop.
        As it is shipping the stable KDE 4 series, the number of bugs is relatively low. I personally only experienced one minor non-crash bug in KMail up to now. The desktop feels well integrated into the rest of the system.

Maybe, if the Kubuntu team would focus on contributing directly to Debian, and ignore the noise from further downstream, both distributions would benefit?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          how you put a arch machine working out the box? the point of arch is building your own machine from nothing
          Oh no, not this Arch elitist bullshit...
          The point of Arch Linux is that the user decides what the system will be. If the user decides that something like Antergos gives the desired result and saves time/effort rather than using the Arch .iso and copying/pasting a bunch of stuff from Archwiki, then so be it. The user still decided what the system would be and the system is still an Arch Linux system.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            Alternatives to Kubuntu!?
            I think you should try Tanglu! It was founded by Matthias Klumpp and will stay close to Debian. As far as I know, all Tanglu developers are Debian developers as well. Maybe Tanglu will become what Fedora is for RHEL/CentOS ... but better of course ;-)

The Beta for Tanglu 3 with KDE Frameworks 5 and GNOME 3.16 has already been released.
            Last edited by Heywood Floyd; 27 June 2015, 06:37 AM.

Comment

I hope this is not true ... because in my opinion this will be the worst decision in canonical history ... ever ;/

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
                i think kde5 is the best thing that has happened to linux desktop in a long while now. even though mate is still usable we deserved a newer more rich mature platform. gnome 3 still sucks on old hardware ( i amusing sandybridge laptop) and in third world countries ppl dont upgrade that often. kde 5 runs butter smooth on intels poor graphics i believe courtesy opengles . also i think Kubuntu users should look at manjaro. manjaro with kde is awesome. i have found that using BFQ has really helped with Sata 2 devices. my laptop has never been this stable or felt this fluid before. Thanks to manjaro and plasma 5
                I quote this comment.

Comment

I guess this will be the end of Debian Unstable lagging behind Ubuntu in KDE versions...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    I guess this will be the end of Debian Unstable lagging behind Ubuntu in KDE versions...
                    At least the last no lags.

Comment

Well this sucks. Kubuntu is my main OS. Can't say I did not see the writing on the wall thought. Was planning to eventually move to some other OS but never could decide on which. Tried Sid several times but just no. Running Tumbleweed on my old laptop and it seems okay, but never liked package management in OpenSuse. Gonna miss those PPAs.

Comment

Working...
                      X