No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 15.10 Could Be The End Of The Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Team, should merge with Netrunner or other teams, join forces. manjaro kde, opensus, mageia...

Comment

another vote for OpenSuse

I have to use Ubuntu at work and am on kubuntu 15.04, it's OK but various oddities. When I upgraded from kubuntu 14.10 everything went wrong, had to reinstall.

At home I'm on OpenSUSE tumbleweed and find it very solid.

Comment

I think to abandon linux. I've seen mint kde and it still uses KDE 4.14.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          ... on the repository system...
          I tried OpenSUSE last year and found the package system a nightmare. I juts wanted updated KDE and what I got was a package system that took forever and included multiple copies of every package, sometimes with the same version number! There was no nice app store version of the package manager, and nothing as nice as Muon / Synaptic - YaST is awful because it just doesn't feel like it belongs. I praise YaST for being really cool, but it lacks visual and UX polish.

I started with Slackware and ran Gentoo for a few years, so don't think me a noob. Emerge was elegant in a way that apt is and zypper/yast/rpm has never been for me.
          Last edited by lunarcloud; 26 June 2015, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            then go openSUSE Tumbleweed and you have always the latest and greatest (KDE 5 with plasma 5.3.1 with frameworks 5.10) at the moment

Comment

I don't get it - what do you people need Kubuntu for? Couldn't you just install something like ubuntu server and install the KDE environment manually? Even if people like Riddel are the only maintainers of KDE packages, I'm SURE there is some ubuntu-compatible repository for KDE packages. Plenty of other distros (to my knowledge) get by with KDE and don't need maintainers dedicated to those packages. I don't see why Ubuntu needs that either.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I don't get it - what do you people need Kubuntu for? Couldn't you just install something like ubuntu server and install the KDE environment manually? Even if people like Riddel are the only maintainers of KDE packages, I'm SURE there is some ubuntu-compatible repository for KDE packages. Plenty of other distros (to my knowledge) get by with KDE and don't need maintainers dedicated to those packages. I don't see why Ubuntu needs that either.
                I have actually tried installing KDE over a vanilla Ubuntu (yes, I know, not server, but that choice was not mine to make) and it went down the drain really fast. For some reason, parts of the UI kept using wrong colors, I had several icons missing and so on. Installed Kubuntu on a freshly formatted partition and all my (their?) problems were gone.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

KDE's software isn't trivial to package. It's a large mass of software packages that have interesting (getting simpler though due to the refactoring in KF5) dependencies.

Although, I want to point out that there is new blood coming into Kubuntu, so I don't think we really have to worry just yet about it going away.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    So...? It's a perfectly stable desktop with tons of features, in fact, I cannot think of anything worth the hassle of upgrading to a half cooked Plasma 5...

Comment

Originally posted by molekiller View Post

So...? It's a perfectly stable desktop with tons of features, in fact, I cannot think of anything worth the hassle of upgrading to a half cooked Plasma 5...
                      In my experience, KF5 and plasma 2 have been a more stable and smooth experience than the previous version. I've also found that generally speaking, the binaries have been consistently shrinking, suggesting cleaner code.
                      Last edited by schmidtbag; 26 June 2015, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X