Fedora 22 KDE Delivers A Great Plasma 5 Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post

Kickoff will likely be ported to the backend used by Kicker (the alternate menu) soon and gain that and various other features in the process.

FWIW: Something is off with the screenshots in this review - the default Plasma 5 theme is not really that low-contrast. It looks like GL compositing was on but the background contrast effect was disabled. So if you find yourself thinking "this is really hard to read" - don't panic, that's not how it's designed to look.
    Hey Sho, I left most of the settings at the default, can you point me in a direction?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

It is normal that "Suspend the compositor for fullscreen applications" is unchecked every time, this setting is disabled when you use Intel drivers. You can't turn it on.

Comment

My only problem so far with Plasma 5 is that some strings remain untranslated and that in some places the text doesn't wrap correctly and ends outside the visible area of its container.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
          It is normal that "Suspend the compositor for fullscreen applications" is unchecked every time, this setting is disabled when you use Intel drivers. You can't turn it on.
          Thanks for the heads up, AnAkln, I didnt know that.

Also, Sho, I found the back ground contrast setting. It had a half checkmark, not sure what that means, but I changed it to a full checkmark and didnt see any obvious change.

Comment

Whats worst at the moment using Plasma 5 is (apart from the usual bugs):

* slow startup times (compared to other DE's)
            * terrible sound applet / settings (switching from one sound output to another for all channels is a pain)
            * no autostart of some applications after install and reboot (like KMix) but maybe thats a distro thing

For the sound configuration the devs should really look into how Ubuntu or Gnome got it done right or they should port pavucontrol to Qt at least...

Comment

can i write articles ?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                can i write articles ?
                Anyone can submit articles for inclusion, gens

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

Anyone can submit articles for inclusion, gens
                  good to know, thx

Comment

I also have Fedora 22 KDE installed. But it doesn't really impress me much. It's giving me black screens between clicking on a program and it starting (almost every freaking program!), which is only annoying. I keep booting to Slackware (Current) because it's better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho_ View Post
                      FWIW: Something is off with the screenshots in this review - the default Plasma 5 theme is not really that low-contrast. It looks like GL compositing was on but the background contrast effect was disabled. So if you find yourself thinking "this is really hard to read" - don't panic, that's not how it's designed to look.
                      Sounds like this bug:
                      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340162 "Poor contrast in taskbar with Breeze"
                      The workaround from the KDE dev that helped me was:
                      Open Systemsettings -> Desktop Behavior -> Desktop Effects, enable "Background Contrast"
                      Last edited by sb56637; 08 June 2015, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X