No announcement yet.

Fedora 22 KDE Delivers A Great Plasma 5 Experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=theghost;n804290]Whats worst at the moment using Plasma 5 is (apart from the usual bugs):

* slow startup times (compared to other DE's)

You can say that again. I've tried to find the delays in Login to Desktop. journalctl shows an 18 second gap in logging during this process, so i thought to look at xsessions-errors but thats as useful as a chocolate teapot as there are no date/time stamps to its records. the 18 second delay may be filled with everything in xsession-error but how can you prove it.

other than that, its doing quite well on opensuse, just waiting for the ability to run a backup script on logout as per configuration in the same manner as KDE4.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

good to know, thx
      Email Michael with your idea to make sure not doubling up something he or I are already working on first though, and to make sure he'd be okay with posting it.

Comment

Hi all,

did anyone ever try to use truetype fonts in kde5? (like, e.g. Arial or Tahoma in 8pt sizes? And slanted fonts (even the ones being delivered with kde5?))
        And did then anyone really look at the screen and see how it is rendered? And then, is anyone still complaining about Linux not being ready for the 'desktop'?

Sorry for the rant, but this (font rendering) was done far better by kde4, kde5 seems good at first (default settings), but when you play around a bit and try to make use of software using the underlying stack, then it gets.... worse. Maybe we need to wait a bit for the product to settle...

Your opinions? I'd be happy hearing from you!

Comment

Originally posted by dentar View Post
          Your opinions? I'd be happy hearing from you!
          Font rasterization is done by FreeType: No change there.

Comment

Yes, freetype is the same. Still, the fonts look worse in comparison to kde4. Check in kde-font management app and see for youself with math fonts and/or italic fonts. You can clearly see the rasterization steps in kde5 which had been smooth in kde4.
            Infinality project could come to a solution, but even this does not help with truetype fonts (terminal fonts and the like are then much better)

Comment

Originally posted by dentar View Post
              Infinality project could come to a solution, but even this does not help with truetype fonts (terminal fonts and the like are then much better)
              There's no "KDE code for TrueType fonts" - KDE is simply not involved with font rendering other than having a settings UI to write out fonts.conf.

Comment

Working...
              X