Ubuntu 15.04 Released, Now Available For Download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    Doesn't show in 14.04 updater? How to update, will I run into bugs? I'm mostly looking for a udev update that fixes the x-plane/ch sticks problems.
    Thanks
    You need to change settings in Software Sources to show all versions, not just LTS ones. You can then upgrade by using the GUI (in Software Updater), or with the command line:

Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    Do not shut down your PC during the upgrade.

Comment

well

the ubuntu 15.04 boots slower with systemd than upstart

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        the ubuntu 15.04 boots slower with systemd than upstart
        try:
        systemd-analyze blame

it often seems to be network that slows down boots ime.

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
          try:
          systemd-analyze blame

it often seems to be network that slows down boots ime.
          Or rather "systemd-analyze criticial-path".

Comment

While I want to congratulate Ubunutu for the next release I still think silently for myself God bless rolling release. Well, I guess that are the benefits and drawbacks. Gentoo means quite some work sometimes once an important lib is incompatible with its former release (changed API etc.) and you need to recompile the depending programs.
            On the other hand you can run Gentoo for 10+ years without re-installing it ever and you still always have an up to date (or even bleeding edge) system. With Ubunut, SuSE, Fedora and the like you're stuck with your version but you don't have to take care of anything.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              While I want to congratulate Ubunutu for the next release I still think silently for myself God bless rolling release. Well, I guess that are the benefits and drawbacks. Gentoo means quite some work sometimes once an important lib is incompatible with its former release (changed API etc.) and you need to recompile the depending programs.
              On the other hand you can run Gentoo for 10+ years without re-installing it ever and you still always have an up to date (or even bleeding edge) system. With Ubunut, SuSE, Fedora and the like you're stuck with your version but you don't have to take care of anything.
              Personally, I am not very fond of rolling release systems for the sake of stability. But maybe it is just fine nowadays... (I am using OpenSuse with Nvidia blob + Virtualbox). Secondly, having a new release once or twice a year it is a little like Christmas, you are exited because it is a really an appreciated gift, or just somewhat happy because it is good, but not that much.

Comment

Rolling release, who needs such? I've just updated with two clicks from 14.04 to 15.04. Between releases that's called beta as it should.

@deadite66 my 15.04 boots into unity without delay and pops up later a message when it has connected to my cable modem.
                Last edited by mike4; 24 April 2015, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Floux View Post
                  having a new release once or twice a year it is a little like Christmas, you are exited because it is a really an appreciated gift
                  That's definitely a valid point.

But for me I am happy with rolling release. Of course, one has to be happy with Gentoo in that case. And it's not always super fluid and awesome. But then, I am really happy that I can up/downgrade kernels, mesa, X and whatsnot to my liking. And that I have nearly total freedom in choice of everything, but that's Gentoo especially, not so much rolling release related.
                  You can still opt for an older "stable" software also in Gentoo if you want.
                  But in several cases you might be happy. E.g. I built a little box for my mom with an APU. I installed SuSE since I was somewhat familiar with it. But the free driver stack they used was "old" and not so suitable so I had to resort to fglrx. Which worked sometimes (depending on release) between so-so and well. But for the updated free driver stack I had to wait for the next release of SuSE and they just increased the distance between releases. In Gentoo I can always have everything recent release of even sometimes git code (supported by package manager) and thus my Kabini already works fine with the free stack, with some SuSE it might still have this and that hiccup.
                  For me the kernel releases are a kind of xmas gift now. And here I nearly always wait for the 1st patch level to be on the safe side.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

And still no sign of Mir.
                    And Wayland is... Exactly! Where is Wayland?

Development of display servers SUCKS.

I Want debloated tear free with no tricks protocol/display server(call it whatever You want) that is working.

Comment

Don't worry, "the community" will jump in and fix this any moment, now, right?

Comment

Working...
                      X