Fedora Server 22 Is Using The XFS File-System By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    Ext4 can't scale for shit. It is good for home use or small servers, but when you're talking hundreds of terabytes Ext4 is not even in the race. The only weakness XFS has is its inability to shrink, but you never/very rarely have to shrink a partition in enterprise. Hopefully XFS will get a boost in development now so we can have an awesome non-COW alternative in the future.
    ted t'so works at google to fix this very problem.
    He's been there for years.
    Not sure that scaling is such a bug issue anymore, but something like lvm can paper-over fs inadequacies to a degree.
    Xfs, however, is amongst the scaling kings. I'm not sure there exists a a fs that performs as well over a data center.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
      Are you sure about this?

I looked into benchmarks in the past, and I could have sworn XFS came out on-top performance-wise over ext4 in majority of the benchmarks.
      At work a few years ago we benchmarked EXT4 vs XFS for a PostgreSQL database setup. Nothing too huge, just a few hundred GB. XFS was fastest.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        Ext4 can't scale for shit. It is good for home use or small servers, but when you're talking hundreds of terabytes Ext4 is not even in the race. The only weakness XFS has is its inability to shrink, but you never/very rarely have to shrink a partition in enterprise. Hopefully XFS will get a boost in development now so we can have an awesome non-COW alternative in the future.
        I was assuming I wouldn't need to talk for XFS given what Red Hat has done. But yes, it is not a filesystem to be ignores. Iirc for filesystem capabilities it still is the only fs in addition to Btrfs that can be used for Ceph clusters

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
          Banks, stock exchanges, governments, etc.. etc.. etc.. all use RHEL.
          Do you realize just how much money and testing had to happen before Red Hat decided to move RHEL to xfs (and by association, Fedora Server)?
          A LOT. It's a huge decision. I don't think they took the decision lightly.
          I think you are overestimating RH a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
            Banks, stock exchanges, governments, etc.. etc.. etc.. all use RHEL.
            Do you realize just how much money and testing had to happen before Red Hat decided to move RHEL to xfs (and by association, Fedora Server)?
            A LOT. It's a huge decision. I don't think they took the decision lightly.
            I'm not saying they don't not making conscious decisions but they are no where near perfect. I encountered some very embarrassing bugs while making a clean install of CentOS 7. I had to search everywhere for a solution until I finally found it and fixed the problem manually. Otherwise the OS would have failed to boot. It can only boot the first time, the second time and so forth it wont boot properly and it will take you to some kind of systemd rescue mode. And that was a CLEAN INSTALL! That is embarrassing for a so called enterprise OS that is supposed to run governments and bla bla bla...

Comment

Originally posted by board View Post
              I'm not saying they don't not making conscious decisions but they are no where near perfect. I encountered some very embarrassing bugs while making a clean install of CentOS 7. I had to search everywhere for a solution until I finally found it and fixed the problem manually. Otherwise the OS would have failed to boot. It can only boot the first time, the second time and so forth it wont boot properly and it will take you to some kind of systemd rescue mode. And that was a CLEAN INSTALL! That is embarrassing for a so called enterprise OS that is supposed to run governments and bla bla bla...
              Interesting claim. Have anything to back it up? I've done many installs of centos7 and never encountered any such problem.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                Interesting claim. Have anything to back it up? I've done many installs of centos7 and never encountered any such problem.

There you go, it's a RAID problem.

Comment

Originally posted by board View Post
                  Is this yet another rant for allowing RAID setups to boot in degraded mode? I thought that already grew old long ago

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Would you consider SLES and openSUSE credible?
                    Neither use btrfs for /home. btrfs is used for the root partition to roll-back system changes via Snapper. They use XFS for /home.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      Neither use btrfs for /home. btrfs is used for the root partition to roll-back system changes via Snapper. They use XFS for /home.
                      Are you referring to the defaults? Btrfs for /home is a fully supported option. Seems like trusted to me. Of course they only enable only a supported subset of Btrfs.

Comment

Working...
                      X