X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Except that backwards compatibility goes out the door, if "yum" is just going to be a script saying it's deprecated and to use DNF instead. Which means that they should have just saved themselves the effort and gone with zypper since they're forcing everyone to go back over their tooling anyway.

Either :
    A). DNF is a drop-in replacement for yum, and really yum-ng, and so it should have the name and command interface of yum and they shouldn't be playing around with these kinds of scripts period.
    or
    B). DNF is not a drop-in replacement and as a result they should have just used zypper instead.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    I'm with droidhacker on this one. The whole point and purpose of creating DNF instead of just using zypper is that DNF wouldn't break peoples scripts and workflow, because it would be renamed to yum and have the same command interface when finished. Doing this is completely contradictory to those goals and quite stupid honestly. They should stick to the original plan, unless the developer wants to tell us this was actually a NIH project all along, in which case Fedora should have just transitioned over to zypper.

Moving to zypper would throw all backwards compatibility out the window. At least with dnf they can maintain some level of BC.

Leave a comment:

• Luke_Wolf
    replied
    I'm with droidhacker on this one. The whole point and purpose of creating DNF instead of just using zypper is that DNF wouldn't break peoples scripts and workflow, because it would be renamed to yum and have the same command interface when finished. Doing this is completely contradictory to those goals and quite stupid honestly. They should stick to the original plan, unless the developer wants to tell us this was actually a NIH project all along, in which case Fedora should have just transitioned over to zypper.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    I'm sure Michael would help you get it changed if you ask him

I have sent in a request long back that wasn't responded to. I have mailed him again now.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    That info is outdated. Unfortunately Phoronix doesn't let me edit the title under the username.
    I'm sure Michael would help you get it changed if you ask him

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    I fail to see what is "some magic" about;

Seems like pretty straight-forward instructions.
    - import new key,
    - update yum itself,
    - clean all the crap that might be lurking,
    - do the update.
    Well, technically you're first supposed to update yum, then kernel, then selinux-policy-targeted, then boot to new kernel and finish the update. Or you can just use fedup. Selinux-policy-targeted is important because otherwise your disk is likely incorrectly labeled after upgrade and you need full relabel which is slow

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    That info is outdated. Unfortunately Phoronix doesn't let me edit the title under the username.
    Really...? Who are you with now?

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Even if he thought it was... did you bother to look at who he works for? Hint: Its right under his username

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by edmon View Post
    It is 2015 and for all rpm based distributions it is still problem to upgrade from one release to next one without some magic!
    It is obvious package type problem if no one can achieve it.
    It is easy to write package manager for dpkg this is why there is so many of them and only two for rpm.

And it is very ugly when under your name is written for whom you work and to start talk about other distributions. this seems to be your company PR problem
    I fail to see what is "some magic" about;

Seems like pretty straight-forward instructions.
    - import new key,
    - update yum itself,
    - clean all the crap that might be lurking,
    - do the update.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by edmon View Post
    tell me with you right hand on your heart that rpm isn't crap and i'll never mention it in my postings.
    Even if he thought it was... did you bother to look at who he works for? Hint: Its right under his username

Leave a comment:

Working...
X