SteamOS Update 153 Brings Updated AMD/NVIDIA Linux Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    And both are stupid. Video cards were invented for the very reason of having a specialized hardware for 3D graphics. Now they want to make it back, and turn video cards into generic computing things. It makes no sense, we already have hardware for that.
    I don't know about that. Maybe your right.

But, rasterizer technology probably isn't the future of 3d graphics. Well, it will be for the next while, but not forever. I'm still fascinated by realtime raytracing. I can't wait for GPUs to get there.

EDIT: Raytracing technology can look almost like live action. When it can be done in realtime the fun stuff will start coming out.
    Last edited by duby229; 15 January 2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

@marceel

I do not buy gfx cards, feel free to send me something better. fglrx has some basic problems, especially with Source engine there is a weird lag that does not happen with nvidia binary. You might be right that a HD 5670 is not a fair comparison to my GTX 650 Ti, but I have got Haswell or GT 630 (Kepler) to compare as well. Witcher 2 is unplayable with my AMD gfx card, but that's no real surprise, it was unstable with my Nvidia card as well, especially if you have got lots of savegames.

@Paul-L

I founded Kanotix, that's correct. But I am not the only developer. Maybe the only one who posts here

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        And both are stupid. Video cards were invented for the very reason of having a specialized hardware for 3D graphics. Now they want to make it back, and turn video cards into generic computing things. It makes no sense, we already have hardware for that.
        Graphics cards still have specialized hardware for 3D graphics. What changed is that the 3D graphics pipeline evolved from fixed-function processing to programmable processing (shaders) with each pipeline stage requiring a lot of floating point processing. The industry response to that was a unified shader core that could be shared between pipeline stages, and a side-effect of *that* was that you ended up with a parallel processing core which could also be used for other things.
        Test signature

Comment

No, game performance is still unacceptably bad. I get several times the framerate in TF2 with this card under Wangblows, and a comparable Nvidia card gets several times that.

Originally posted by marceel View Post
          Get a stronger video card. Game performance is good. I have no problems with any steam linux game. Even Witcher 2 is running ok after the patches from the developer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            @marceel

I do not buy gfx cards, feel free to send me something better. fglrx has some basic problems, especially with Source engine there is a weird lag that does not happen with nvidia binary. You might be right that a HD 5670 is not a fair comparison to my GTX 650 Ti, but I have got Haswell or GT 630 (Kepler) to compare as well. Witcher 2 is unplayable with my AMD gfx card, but that's no real surprise, it was unstable with my Nvidia card as well, especially if you have got lots of savegames.
            I had 4850 and now i have 6950 and I never had problems with source engine(dota 2). Right now, I'm playing Civ:BE on 1920x1080, ultra settings and I have 25-30FPS. Even Path of Exile is now playable with new driver.

So I think, hardware upgrade might be good choice for you, if you want blob drivers, otherwise you should use open driver.

Comment

I have lots of gfx cards, most likely more than 10. I only bought very few myself. Feel free to send me one but don't expect that I spend a cent for an AMD gfx card upgrade. The HD 5670 can run fglrx, enough to test driver quality. If you need to buy a (former) highend card to use a 11 year old engine then something must be wrong. The oss drivers are better for really fast cards, but SteamOS has a simple autodetection that would enforce fglrx.

Comment

Working...
              X