No announcement yet.

Antergos Is Working Out Well For Measuring Up Arch Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I too found it frustrating when first trying to install Arch. Googled, and found arch ultimate installer (https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui). It worked out well. What I liked best was it asked me which font libraries I wanted to use (default, infinality, ubuntu-patched). I wanted the ubuntu-patched ones (I'm very picky about font rendering). Then it automatically configured AUR for me, downloaded the required development files, compiled and installed, and everything _just_ worked. The installer overall does a pretty good job of suggesting packages. Also, doesn't require a separate ISO (unlike evo), just use the default arch ISO, run this script, and you're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
      Use the Evolution arch installer. Much easier and the Arch guru's gave it the thumbs up so you wouldn't need to lie about what distro you are using
      AUI is another option. I too was frustrated when first trying to install Arch. Googled, and found arch ultimate installer (https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui). It worked out well. What I liked best was it asked me which font libraries I wanted to use (default, infinality, ubuntu-patched). I wanted the ubuntu-patched ones (I'm very picky about font rendering). Then it automatically configured AUR for me, downloaded the required development files, compiled and installed, and everything _just_ worked. The installer does a pretty good job of suggesting packages. Also, it does not require a separate ISO (unlike evo), just use the default arch ISO, use this script, and you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
        Week ago i want to give a try to Arch, but lack of proper installer and boring cmdline wiki zillions command tuporial stoped me, so integration of proper install would be clever step.
        Use the "Installation guide" not the "Beginner guide". The Installation guide is really short and easy to understand. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/installation_guide
        If you do a simple installation without luks etc, it is fairly simple.

Comment

Antergos seems like a fine option to get an elegent pre-configured Arch install. I personally use Archbang as a base because it's very simple and includes an ncurses installer and OpenBox, which can be switched for something else easily.

I suppose it doesn't matter because Antergos and Archbang are both essentially the same thing--Archlinux. They are 100% compatible with the repositories and AUR.

Comment

Save 5 minutes and lose community support via Arch forums.

Comment

But why do they choose a new name for the hole distribution -.-

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                A reason why ppl think that the arch ppl are douchebags

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  No, you just try to get help in the main distro forums and if they can't help you then try Arch support. In reality, though, Antergos and Archbang are Archlinux and use the same repositories. As soon as you pull in packages and update your system against Arch repositories with pacman, your system essentially becomes Archlinux. In the case with Archbang, it doesnt even have it's own repository. Therefore virtually all problems you'll see in Antergos and Archbang (outside of the installer program) will also surely appear in Archlinux and vice versa. However, Manjaro isn't the same, though, because they have custom repositories that restrict or slow package arrivals from Arch and that can introduce compatibility issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
                    No, you just try to get help in the main distro forums and if they can't help you then try Arch support. In reality, though, Antergos and Archbang are Archlinux and use the same repositories. As soon as you pull in packages and update your system against Arch repositories with pacman, your system essentially becomes Archlinux. In the case with Archbang, it doesnt even have it's own repository. Therefore virtually all problems you'll see in Antergos and Archbang (outside of the installer program) will also surely appear in Archlinux and vice versa. However, Manjaro isn't the same, though, because they have custom repositories that restrict or slow package arrivals from Arch and that can introduce compatibility issues.
                    As much as I understand that distinction is very thin, by guidelines you shouldn't do so if your flavor isn't vanilla one and its very likely that your thread will be moderated. You could do it sneaky though, but...

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                      Use the Evolution arch installer. Much easier and the Arch guru's gave it the thumbs up so you wouldn't need to lie about what distro you are using
                      Sometimes I just forget to do things when I install Arch (last time was the first time I got everything set up right the first time). I guess ill have to take a look at that if it makes life easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X