Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antergos Is Working Out Well For Measuring Up Arch Linux

Phoronix: Antergos Is Working Out Well For Measuring Up Arch Linux

This past week I've been carrying out a number of system installations using Antergos as an Arch-based distribution with its quick and easy GUI/CLI installer. In seeking somewhat of a stable/sane base of settings and default packages that's easy to reproduce by others on independent systems yet still rolling-release with Arch, I've been happy with Antergos thus far...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I dislike of antergos is than its a web installer. I could perfectly just make a pacman -Syu after install the distro by my own.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      What I dislike of antergos is than its a web installer. I could perfectly just make a pacman -Syu after install the distro by my own.
      Yeah, but it lets you fine tune your partition settings, installed DE, and default software/settings

It really is a long install though because of the downloads

Comment

Default is lousy

Week ago i want to give a try to Arch, but lack of proper installer and boring cmdline wiki zillions command tuporial stoped me, so integration of proper install would be clever step.

Comment

I'm probably going to switch to Antergos when AMD's Omega driver comes out.
          Arch is simply a lot more flexible to use imo.
          And I really like Gnome 3.14. Having a distro with Gnome as a primary DE is important.
          I just hope Omega supports the latest kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
            Week ago i want to give a try to Arch, but lack of proper installer and boring cmdline wiki zillions command tuporial stoped me, so integration of proper install would be clever step.
            Use the Evolution arch installer. Much easier and the Arch guru's gave it the thumbs up so you wouldn't need to lie about what distro you are using

Comment

I just use this personally http://www.evolutionlinux.com/

Works pretty nicely for a quicker pure-arch install. I've gotten a few people into arch by showing them this, they were very put-off by the command-line install, so this was a nice alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                Use the Evolution arch installer. Much easier and the Arch guru's gave it the thumbs up so you wouldn't need to lie about what distro you are using
                Ahh you beat me to it, i was just about to post about evo! Ive gotten some friends, that were put-off by the command line install, into arch and they like it so far. Its nice since it makes uefi installs much simpiler imo.
                Last edited by eloc574; 07 December 2014, 01:23 AM.

Comment

I too was in a similar position when first trying to install arch. Googled, and found arch ultimate installer (https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui). Worked great. What I found best was it asked me what font libraries i wanted to use (default, infinality, ubuntu-patched). I wanted the ubuntu-patched ones (I'm very picky about font rendering). It automatically configured AUR for me, downloaded the required build files, compiled and installed, and everything f**king worked.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                    I seem to recall Evolution would not apply a few vital settings by default (e.g. the discard option for SSDs) the last time I tried it, and bluetooth would not work "out of the box". IMO the Antergos installer is much, much easier to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X